This Week in Livable Streets
Help count cyclists and pedestrians. Bike the monthly Freedom Ride. Attend meetings for Metro, Van Nuys transit, Monterey Park bike lanes, Sixth Street PARC and much more.
- All week– The L.A. County Bicycle Coalition and L.A. Walks will be counting bikes and pedestrians this week on Wednesday 9/20 and Saturday 9/23. In advance of count days, the organizations are hosting training sessions at various locations. Get information and sign up via LACBC.
- Monday 9/14, Wednesday 9/20 and Saturday 9/23 – Metro continues to host the community meetings on the planned East San Fernando Valley Transit Corridor project which is likely to build rail or BRT on Van Nuys Boulevard. Meetings continue tonight, Monday 9/18, in Van Nuys, Wednesday 9/20 in Pacoima, and Saturday 9/23 in Van Nuys. Meeting details at Metro project website.
- Tuesday 9/19, Wednesday 9/20 – Sixth Street PARC Community Meetings: Learn about three potential designs for the park spaces under the under-construction Sixth Street Viaduct at two meetings: Tuesday at the Aliso Pico Recreation Center (370 South Clarence Street) and Wednesday at 960 E. 3rd St. Both meetings run from 6 to 8 p.m. For more information, visit the project website.
- Wednesday 9/20, Thursday 9/21 – The Metro board of directors committees will meet to discuss and decide matters in advance of next week’s full board meeting. Meeting details and agendas at Metro meeting website.
- Wednesday 9/20 – Bike San Gabriel Valley – BIKE SGV will host a ride to the Monterey Park City Council meeting to push for bike lanes. The ride starts at 5:30 p.m. at the El Monte Station at 3501 Santa Anita Avenue. Details at Facebook event.
- Friday 9/22 – Strong Towns’ Chuck Marohn will speak at the Orange County Partnerships to Improve Community Health Active Transportation forum in Santa Ana. Details at event website.
- Saturday 9/23 – Los Angeles Walks and LA-Más host a Go Ave 26 Community Walk. The event takes place from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. starting at the Lincoln Heights/Cypress Park Metro Gold Line station at 370 W. Avenue 26. Details at Facebook event.
- Sunday 9/24 – Tune up and roll out: Free Bicycle Tune Up Session at the Leimert Park People St Plaza with Black Kids on Bikes. BKoB will be wrenching for the people from 10 a.m. until about 12:30 p.m. They will then embark on their monthly Freedom Ride, heading to Watts to join up with the East Side Riders for their annual picnic at Serenity Park (Monitor Ave. and 114th Street in Watts). Roll out from the plaza (Leimert Park Blvd and 43rd Place) at 1 p.m.
- Sunday 9/24 – The East Side Riders Bike Club will be holding their annual club picnic at Serenity Park in Watts. This year there will be bicycle raffles, a 5-mile bike ride, food, and games for the entire family. For the club, the picnic represents a thank you to the Watts, L.A. and surrounding communities for their continued support. Festivities begin at noon at the park, located at Monitor Ave and 114th St. in Watts. Details can be found here.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email joe [at] streetsblog.org.