This Week In Livable Streets
Don’t miss 626 Golden Streets this Sunday, plus L.A. Walks awards dinner on Saturday, plus a high-speed rail conference and lots more election-related events!
- Monday 2/27 – Today is the last day to register for for L.A. Walks’ March 4th Dinner and Party – see Saturday below.
- Tuesday 2/28 – LAplus and design east of La Brea host a pop-up “No on S, Yes on L.A.” exhibition at the A+D Museum at 900 E. 4th Street in the downtown Los Angeles Arts District. The exhibit opens Tuesday from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Visitors can get free posters and buy lawn signs, and find out how to get involved in defeating Measure S. The exhibition continues through March 8. For details see deLab.
- Tuesday 2/28 through Thursday 3/2 – The U.S. High-Speed Rail Association hosts its West Coast Rail Conference at Metro headquarters. Register at USHSR.
- Wednesday 3/1 – Occidental College presents Christopher Hawthorne’s Third L.A. event, “The Politics of Housing: Measure S and the Future of Growth in Los Angeles” from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. at A+D Museum at 900 E. 4th Street in the downtown Los Angeles Arts District. Event details at Occidental College.
- Wednesday 3/1 – Human Resources hosts a Council District 1 candidates forum from 7 to 10 p.m. at 410 Cottage Home Street in Chinatown. Details at Facebook event.
- Thursday 3/2 – The Los Angeles Tenants Union hosts a meeting with head of the L.A. City Housing and Community Investment Department (HCID.) LATU members and the public are invited. The meeting takes place from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at the PUENTE Learning Center at 501 S. Boyle Avenue in Boyle Heights. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 3/4 – Grassroots organizers are hosting a rally to Stop Measure S Now! The public rally takes place starting at 10 a.m. at De Longpre Park at 1350 N. Cherokee Avenue in Hollywood. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 3/4 – L.A. Walks March 4th Dinner and Party honors walk heroes Jennie Dorosh Chamberlain, Zaki Mustafa, and Communities Actively Living Independent & Free. The awards dinner takes place from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. at Maker City L.A., 1933 S. Broadway in downtown L.A. Purchase tickets at L.A. Walks.
- Sunday 3/5 – This Sunday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. will be the long-anticipated 626 Golden Streets ciclovía!! Sponsored by Metro, the 17+mile-long free family-friendly open streets festival is open for walking, running, bicycling, skating, wheelchairing, and hanging out. It will be incredible, and all easily accessed via the Metro Gold Line. Be there. Join a feeder ride from Highland Park/Eagle Rock or Highland Park.
- Tuesday 3/7 is election day! Vote! If you can, get involved by volunteering – find out more at Bike the Vote or No on Measure S. (Streetsblog generally cannot endorse candidates, but we have taken a No on S position.)
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email joe [at] streetsblog.org.