This Week In Livable Streets
- Wednesday 6/1 – Join MEChA of Maya Angelou, L.A. Street Vendor-leaders, Union del Barrio, and the L.A. Street Vendor Campaign for a community event to uplift and celebrate the lives and struggles of L.A. Street Vendors through a FotoNovela. The event takes place from 5:30 to 8 p.m. at Dr.Maya Angelou Community High School at 300 E 53rd Street in South L.A. Details at ELACC and Facebook event.
- Wednesday 6/1 – Bike the Vote hosts a happy hour ballot party, to share research on candidates. The event takes place from 7 to 9 p.m. at pin Iron Triangle Brewing at 1581 Industrial Street in downtown L.A. Details at Facebook event.
- Thursday 6/2 – Young Professionals in Transportation Los Angeles Chapter host a special Book Club event discussing Start-Up City by Gabe Klein. Gabe Klein will join the event via web conference. It is not required to have read the book prior to the event, but it would definitely be more fruitful. From 5 to 6 p.m. is a happy hour meet-and-greet, then from 6 to 8 p.m. is the book club discussion. The whole thing takes place at Alta Planning + Design at 617 W 7th Street, 2nd floor, in downtown L.A. Details at Facebook event.
- Thursday 6/2 – Owlized and APA Technology Division host a Civic Tech Happy Hour from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Experience Owlized’s OWL civic engagement kiosk and learn how project managers are using technology to dramatically increase participation. The event takes place at Nelson/Nygaard at 706 S. Hill Street, 12th floor, in downtown L.A.
- Thursday 6/2 – Thursday is the deadline for public comments on Metro’s draft guidelines for development at Expo/Crenshaw [PDF] and Fairview Heights [PDF] stations on the under construction Crenshaw/LAX light rail line. Online comment form is here.
- Saturday 6/4 – City Lites presents the 13th Annual Inner City Mini-Marathon and Health Fair featuring a 23-mile bike tour and a 5K walk tour, both departing at 9 a.m. at Jessie Owens Park at 9651 S. Western Avenue in South L.A. Free, but arrive early to register. Details at City Lites.
- Sunday 6/5 – Santa Monica hosts its first open streets festival. The city will close 1.7 miles worth of streets from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m for “Coast.” Free. Fun. Family-friendly. Easy access from the newly-opened Metro Expo Line. But perhaps kinda short to be really bikey. Details at Santa Monica Next and Facebook event.
- Sunday 6/5 – The city and county present San Pedro Shred: Festival of Skate 2016 where city streets are closed off for skating. The free festival takes place from 10 a.m to 4 p.m. on Gaffey Street between 32nd Street and Paseo Del Mar in San Pedro. Event details at San Pedro Shred.
- Sunday 6/5 – The L.A. Historical Society presents This is Los Angeles: Movies Made by and about the City. The free screening takes place from 2 to 4 p.m. in the Mark Taper Auditorium of the Central Library at 630 W 5th Street in downtown L.A. Details at Facebook event.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.