Southern California’s roadway terror is back in the news
Evidently, the Terror of Calabasas is at it again.
The LA Times reports that pop singer Justin Beiber was ticketed in Calabasas early this morning for running a stop sign and driving his Ferrari without a valid license. The Beib was reportedly cooperative, and Sheriff’s deputies allowed a passenger to drive the car away with Beiber inside, even though the car could have been towed.
This is just the latest in a long line of automotive mischief involving Beiber.
- July of last year, America’s teenage heartthrob was stopped for speeding down the 101 in his customized chrome Karma in an attempt to escape the paparazzi; former Councilmember and cop Dennis Zine helped make the bust
- Last November, he was ticketed for making an unsafe turn in West Hollywood, and having expired registration on his high-powered white Ferrari
- The next day, he’s photographed standing up on his $20,000 Ducati while riding on the 405
- A paparazzo was killed crossing Sepulveda Blvd on New Years Day after Beiber’s Ferrari was stopped by the CHP; rapper Lil Twist was reportedly driving
- In May, Beiber was accused of driving his Ferrari at highway speeds through his exclusive gated community, leading to an altercation with former pro football player Keyshawn Johnson
- Also in May, his car — without him in it — was pulled over for speeding in the same area; reports were Twist was once again behind the wheel
- In June, Beiber was investigated for suspicion of hit-and-run outside the Laugh Factory in Hollywood, again in a white Ferrari; no charges were filed
And that doesn’t even include charges of instigating brawls, throwing up onstage and peeing in public. Or parking his car illegally in Beverly Hills.
I’m told from law enforcement officers who’ve dealt with him that Beiber is very respectful and well-mannered when dealing with cops; one CHP officer who met him on official police business said his mother clearly raised him well.
Which probably explains why they’ve been so in gentle dealing with him so far. A little respect from a celebrity goes a long way.
Unfortunately, no one seems to have taught him how to drive. Or keep his foot off the gas pedal.
Then again, maybe it’s just the car.
As Streetsblog’s Damien Newton suggested recently, someone needs to take his very expensive toys away before someone else gets hurt.
Or maybe just shoot him into space.