This Week In Livable Streets
Saturday will be EYCEJ’s Toxic Tour bicycling along the southeast stretches of the L.A. River. Plenty of meetings to support safety improvements, affordable housing, and open streets. Metro committees and much more all this week!
- Tuesday 7/18 – Abundant Housing L.A. has put out a call to support 745 planned housing units. The Westchester/Playa Neighborhood Council will consider two projects: The Paseo Marina, a 658 unit mixed-use development with 66 low-income units, and an 87-unit mixed-use development with 8 low-income units. The meeting takes place at 6:30 p.m. at the Westchester Municipal Building Community Room at 7166 Manchester Avenue. More details at Facebook event and meeting agenda.
- Tuesday 7/18 – CicLAvia will host a community meeting on the upcoming August 13 “San Pedro meets Wilmington” event. The meeting will take place from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the San Pedro Regional Branch Library at 931 S. Gaffey Street. Details at Facebook event.
- Tuesday 7/18 – The Venice Neighborhood Council board will meet to decide a motion against the Venice Blvd and Playa Del Rey road safety improvement projects, and requesting Councilmember Mike Bonin host a Venice town hall meeting. The meeting takes place at 7 p.m. at Westminster Elementary School Auditorium at 1010 Abbot Kinney Boulevard. Details at meeting agenda.
- Wednesday 7/19 and Thursday 7/20 – Metro board committees will meet to conduct business in advance of next week’s board meeting. Details and agendas at Metro website.
- Wednesday 7/19 – From 2-6 p.m. the John and Ken radio show will be broadcasting live from The Shack at 185 Culver Boulevard in Playa Del Rey. The hosts are inviting those who “have been affected by these horrible road diets to make their voices heard.” Details at Facebook event.
- Wednesday 7/19 – The city of Los Angeles Vision Zero initiative is hosting a second open house about safety improvements proposed for Fletcher Drive. The open house will take place from 5-7 p.m. at Atwater Avenue Elementary School at 3271 Silver Lake Boulevard in Atwater Village. For more background, see Walk Eagle Rock.
- Wednesday 7/19 – The L.A. Department of City Planning hosts an informational meeting on the Hollywood Community Plan Update from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the Cahuenga Branch Library at 4591 Santa Monica Boulevard, just east of the Vermont/Santa Monica Red Line Station. For details see Facebook event. RSVP via city website.
- Thursday 7/20 – The L.A. City Pedestrian Advisory Committee will meet from 2-4 p.m. at the Caltrans Building Conference Room 01.040B at 100 North Main Street in downtown Los Angeles. Details at meeting agenda.
- Thursday 7/20 – CicLAvia will host a community meeting on the upcoming August 13 “San Pedro meets Wilmington” event. The meeting will take place from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the Wilmington Branch Library at 1300 N. Avalon Boulevard. Details at Facebook event.
- Thursday 7/20 – PeopleforBikes, Pure Cycles, and Golden Road Brewing host “Draft,” a bicyclist meet-up from 6-9 p.m. at Pure Cycles at 713 N. Victory Boulevard in Burbank. Free tacos, beer, and non-alcoholic beverages! Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 7/22 – East Yard Communities For Environmental Justice hosts its L.A. River Toxic Bike Tour. The tour focuses on fights against environmental racism and other forms of injustice in communities along the L.A. River. The ride will gather at 8:30 a.m. at Ruben Salazar Park at 3864 Whittier Boulevard in East Los Angeles and roll out at 9:30 a.m. It finishes at Cesar E. Chavez Park in Long Beach. For details, see Facebook event or call (323) 263-2113.
- Saturday 7/22 – LADOT will host a Venice Blvd Great Street Open House from 1 to 3 p.m. at Windward School Gymnasium at 11350 Palms Boulevard in Mar Vista. LADOT will be publicly releasing data from their one month review as well as taking feedback. Details at city website or Facebook event. RSVPs requested.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email joe [at] streetsblog.org.