Metro Moving Forward With $4 Million For 17 Open Streets
Today, Metro’s Planning and Programming Committee approved $4.04 million for 17 L.A. County open streets events to take place through December 2018. The full Metro board of directors is expected to approve the open streets program funding at its meeting next Thursday.
This is the second round of Metro open street event funding, with the agency budgeting $2 million per fiscal year. Metro support has resulted in extending open streets, including CicLAvia, to take place in a diverse range of L.A. County jurisdictions from Downey to Santa Monica to Long Beach. In addition to fostering bicycling and walking, Metro staff reported that past open streets events have shown increased Metro rail ridership (10 percent greater along the route corridor) and system-wide increased sales of Metro day passes.
Metro’s 17 upcoming open streets events include seven multi-jurisdictional events, and 11 cities hosting their first open streets event.
After the jump is the full list the Metro recommended open streets events, listed in Metro’s ranking order:
- West Hollywood – CicLAvia: Meet the Hollywoods – 5.5 miles, Spring 2018
- Burbank – Burbank on the Boulevard – 3.3 miles, Spring 2017
- Culver City – CicLAvia: Culver City to the Beach – 6.6 miles, Spring 2017
- Los Angeles – CicLAvia Heart of L.A. – 6 miles, Winter 2018
- Baldwin Park – Pride of the Valley Open Streets – 6.8 miles, Summer 2017
- Vernon – River to Rail: Vernon & Huntington Park’s Open Streets Event – 5.2 miles, Summer 2017
- Los Angeles – CicLAvia Heart of L.A., 6 miles, Fall 2017
- Los Angeles – CicLAvia Iconic Wilshire – 6.3 miles, Winter 2017
- Glendale – CicLAvia: Glendale meets Atwater Village – 3 miles, Spring 2017
- Santa Monica – Coast Santa Monica’s Open Street Event – 2 miles, Summer 2018
- Downey – Downey Ride & Stride Open Streets Event – 5 miles, Spring 2017
- San Fernando – Healthy San Fernando Open Street Event – 4 miles, Fall 2017
- Long Beach – Beach Streets: Anaheim Corridor – 4.1 miles, Fall 2016
- Whittier – Whittier Walk and Roll Street Festival – 6 miles, Summer 2017
- Montebello – Cruising Whittier Blvd. – 5 miles, Spring 2018
- San Dimas – CicLAvia: Route 66 – 5.8 miles, Spring 2018
- Los Angeles – San Pedro Wilmington Open Streets – 4.2 miles, Summer 2017
In addition to funding the above events, Metro is reprogramming funding to support the postponed 626 Golden Streets event.
For full details on Metro’s cycle two open streets events, see the Metro staff report.