This Week in Livable Streets
- Thursday 5/5 – The Echo Park Improvement Association hosts a panel discussion on bicycling in L.A. at 7 p.m. in Williams Hall at the Barlow Respiratory Hospital at 2000 Stadium Way, in Elysian Park. Panelists include Nick Richert (Bike Talk), Don Ward (Wolfpack Hustle), Nona Varnado (L.A. Bike Trains, L.A. Bike Fest), Melody Brocious (bike polo), Betsy Medvedosky (art and cycling), Vanessa Gray (C.I.C.L.E.) and Josef Bray-Ali (Flying Pigeon). Details at Facebook event.
- Thursday 5/5 – Join the UNIDAD Coalition to talk about the future of South Central at a town hall regarding the $1.2 billion Reef development. UNIDAD and South Central residents have been working on a community benefits proposal they hope could mitigate some of the impacts of such a major development in an area where disinvestment has generally been the rule. Details at Facebook event.
- Friday 5/6 – The American Institute of Architects hosts Design for Dignity: Changing The Housing Equation By Design a one-day conference highlighting workable solutions to solving Southern California’s housing crisis. The event takes place from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Inner-City Arts at 720 Kohler Street in downtown Los Angeles’ Arts District. Register at AIA L.A. Share via Facebook event.
- Saturday 5/7 – Si Se Mueve hosts a 6-mile walk exploration of Highland Park, departing at 8 a.m from the Metro Gold Line Highland Park Station. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 5/7 – CicLAvia and the Southeast Bicycle Alliance are hosting a Southeast Cities Exploratory Ride. Meet at the Watts Towers at 9 a.m. to check out part of the route for the upcoming CicLAvia Southeast. Bikes, boards, scooters, and all forms of alt-transit welcome! Waiver required to join (will hand out before ride starts). All riders under 18 must wear a helmet. Details at Facebook Event.
- Saturday 5/7 – The Los Angeles chapter of Young Professionals in Transportation is hosting a short, family-friendly free bike ride through Crenshaw and Leimert Park. Meet at 9:30 a.m. at the Metro Expo Line Crenshaw Station. The ride departs promptly at 10:00 a.m., and ends at Leimert Plaza. More details at Facebook event and at YPT-LA. And, while you’re there, enjoy the next event, too!
- Saturday 5/7 – Metro hosts a celebration commemorating the half-way point toward completion of the Crenshaw-LAX light rail line. The celebration takes place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Leimert Park Village at 4395 Leimert Boulevard in South Los Angeles. Activities include music, kids zone, Metro and contractor employment opportunities, and more. For details see Metro website.
- Saturday 5/7 – Wolfpack Hustle hosts the Long Beach Short Line Crit taking place alongside the Long Beach Bike Fest. Qualifiers start at 4 p.m. and main track events at 7:30 p.m. (women) and 8:15 p.m. (men). Circuit viewable throughout downtown Long Beach. Volunteers needed. Details at Facebook Event and at Wolfpack Hustle.
- Sunday 5/8 – The L.A. Bicycle Festival touches down in downtown L.A.’s Grand Park from 9:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Billed as a bicycle theme park, the festival includes family-friendly workshops, demos, beer garden, interactive art installations, wandering musicians, local ride groups among the most innovative bike and gear brands. Details at Facebook event.
- Sunday 5/8 – L.A. Walks hosts a DTLA Women’s History Mother’s Day Walk. Event starts at Arcadia and Main at 3 p.m. Details at Facebook event.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email email@example.com.