This Week in Livable Streets
This week is your last chance for Metro’s community meetings on its draft sales tax expenditure plan: Metro meetings take place this week in Paramount, South L.A., and online. Re:code L.A. also wraps up its series of forums with a virtual meeting. There are even more Metro meetings, with the agency’s monthly Board of Directors meeting and a bicycle roundtable. There is also a Caltrans webinar for the upcoming round of state Active Transportation Program funding.
It is sold out, but SBLA is excited about UCLA’s one-day conference on the future of public transit. The same day, SBLA will attend ULI’s forum on ballot measures impacting development in Southern California. Enjoy car-free storytelling Tuesday night. This weekend, get out on your bike and explore community gardens and northeast Los Angeles! Plenty more below.
- Tuesday 4/26 – Metro is hosting a Bicycle Roundtable meeting from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Union Station Conference room on the 3rd floor at Metro Headquarters, One Gateway Plaza in downtown Los Angeles, right behind Union Station. Past roundtable information at Metro website.
- Tuesday 4/26 – Re:code L.A. concludes its series of public forums on the future of L.A. City’s zoning code – with key details on the future of downtown L.A. and single-family housing. Read about re:code’s earlier Boyle Heights forum here. Tomorrow’s forum is takes place online from 7 to 8 p.m. Register at re:code L.A.
- Tuesday 4/26 – This week Metro wraps up its series of community meetings to receive input on its proposed sales tax expenditure plan. The eighth of Metro’s community meetings takes place tomorrow night from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Gateway Cities Council of Governments, 2nd Floor Conference Room at 16401 Paramount Boulevard in Paramount. Ask the Gateway COG folks why their regional project list has no funding for walk and bike projects. Meeting details at Metro’s The Source.
- Tuesday 4/26 – Catch BUSted: True Stories About Getting Around L.A., Told By People Who Don’t Drive! at 8 p.m. at the Comedy Central Stage at Hudson Theatre at 6539 Santa Monica Blvd. in Hollywood. The show is free, but reservations are required; to reserve call the Comedy Central Stage box office line 323-960-5519. Details at Facebook event.
- Wednesday 4/27 – Registration ended last week, but there is an off chance you can still get into The Future of Public Transit, UCLA’s 9th Annual Downtown Los Angeles Forum on Transportation, Land Use, and the Environment. The one-day conference takes place from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the California Endowment at 1000 North Alameda Street in downtown Los Angeles, one block north of Union Station. Details at last week’s preview article.
- Wednesday 4/27 – The Urban Land Institute hosts a forum on upcoming ballot measures, including the so-called Neighborhood Integrity Initiative. The forum takes place from 9 a.m. to 12 noon at the UCLA Anderson School of Management Korn Auditorium, Entrepreneurs Hall, 3rd Floor, at 110 Westwood Plaza in Westwood. $25 registration includes breakfast. Event details and registration at ULI.
- Wednesday 4/27 – If you or your city want to understand Caltrans’ Active Transportation Program better, attend a webinar designed to assist applicants in navigating and completing the ATP Cycle 3 application. The online session takes place from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday. To participate use this Verizon e-meeting link. To listen by phone, call 800-857-9797, and enter participant code 7442024. The PowerPoint will be posted on Tuesday, April 26th, on the Caltrans ATP Cycle 3 webpage; the webinar will be recorded and also posted on the cycle 3 page for applicants to view as needed. For questions, email Caltrans’ Mary Hartegan at mary.hartegan[at]dot.ca.gov.
- Wednesday 4/27 – There is no L.A. City Transportation Committee meeting this week, as 2016-2017 city budget deliberations are getting underway. Budget hearings begin Wednesday and continue through mid-April; budget agendas are here.
- Wednesday 4/27 – The Crenshaw Subway Coalition hosts a community meeting on the Crenshaw-LAX Line, Measure R2 & Gentrification. The meeting takes place at 6:30 pm at Christ Temple Church at 3125 W. 54th Street in South Los Angeles. Meeting details at coalition website.
- Wednesday 4/27 – Bike the Vote will be riding to the Los Angeles League of Conservation Voters debate between candidates for L.A. County Supervisor District 5. The debate starts at 7 p.m., with doors opening at 6:30 p.m. at the Neighborhood Unitarian Universalist Church at 301 N. Orange Grove Boulevard in Pasadena, a short bike ride or walk from the Memorial Park Gold Line station. RSVP for the debate here. Bike the Vote event details on Facebook event.
- Thursday 4/28 – Metro’s Board of Directors meets at 9 a.m. at Metro Headquarters, One Gateway Plaza in downtown Los Angeles, right behind Union Station. Easy access via Gold, Red, and Purple Lines. Meeting details at Metro meeting page.
- Thursday 4/28 – Metro’s ninth expenditure plan community meeting takes place from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Rita Walters Learning Complex Auditorium at 915 W. Manchester Avenue in South Los Angeles. Meeting details at Metro’s The Source.
- Saturday 4/30 – Metro’s final expenditure plan community meeting takes place online from 10 a.m. to 12 noon. Register on Metro’s website.
- Saturday 4/30 – C.I.C.L.E. hosts a family-friendly bicycle ride Community Garden Tour. Meet at 10 a.m. at Micheltorena Elementary School Garden on Micheltorena Street at Sunset Boulevard in Silver Lake. Details at Facebook event.
- Sunday 5/1 – The L.A. County Bicycle Coalition hosts its regular Sunday Funday bike ride, this time exploring Northeast Los Angeles. Meet at Metro Gold Line Heritage Square Station at 9:30 a.m. Details at Facebook event.
- Sunday 5/1 – Santa Monica Spoke (with a gazillion partners) hosts Gear Up!, an all-ages bike swap event designed to get you ready for summer cycling. There is free bike repair, raffle, learn-to-ride clinic, bike art, and more. The extravaganza takes place from 11 a.m to 2 p.m. at McKinley Elementary School at 2401 Santa Monica Boulevard in Santa Monica. Details at Facebook event.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email email@example.com.