This Week In Livable Streets
Tomorrow the L.A. City Council expects to rescind and re-approve Mobility Plan 2035. Thursday is the opening celebration for Breeze bike-share! There are also meetings, walks, hearings, and a bike festival.
- Monday 11/9 – Tonight, L.A. City Councilmember David Ryu hosts a forum on transportation and Mobility Plan 2035. It takes place at the Autry Museum in Griffith Park. Refreshments start at 6 p.m. and the program begins at 7 p.m. Details at Facebook event page.
- Tuesday 11/10 – A joint meeting of L.A. City Council’s Planning and Transportation Committees is looking to rescind and re-approve the city’s forward-looking Mobility Plan 2035. Backward-looking plan opponents are organizing pressure to weaken or kill the plan. Livability proponents are pressing for smooth re-approval. See background articles here and here. The hearing starts at 2:30 p.m. in council chambers at L.A. City Hall. Details on meeting agenda.
- Tuesday 11/10 – The California High Speed Rail Authority hosts a series of three L.A. County meetings this week and next, focused on future HSR between Burbank and downtown L.A. The first meeting takes place Tuesday from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Fred Harvey Room at L.A. Union Station. Additional meetings take place in Glendale (Monday 11/16) and Cypress Park (Thursday 11/19.) Additional details on flier [PDF].
- Thursday 11/12 – Santa Monica celebrates the grand opening of L.A. County’s first-ever large-scale municipal bike-share system. The bike-share system is called Breeze, sponsored by Hulu. Festivities begin at 8:15 a.m. at Santa Monica City Hall. Make a reservation online and ride Breeze for free the first day. Details at Santa Monica Next.
- Thursday 11/12 – The Transit Coalition is hosting a dinner meeting featuring a talk by Martha Welborne, Metro Chief Planning Officer. It takes place at 6 p.m., at Metro Headquarters, in the Union Station Conference Room. Tickets are $25 in advance. No unregistered guests! To attend, register at Eventbrite. Additional details at The Transit Coalition.
- Friday 11/13 – The California State Senate’s Select Committee on Climate Change and AB 32 Implementation hosts a hearing on The Role of Climate Policy in Addressing Drought, Competitiveness and Traffic. It gets underway at 10:30 a.m. in Room 1347 of UCLA School of Law, 385 Charles E. Young Dr., in Westwood. The committee will hear from business leaders and policy experts on how California’s climate policy can help the state deal with drought, improve business competitiveness, and grow sustainably. In addition, the committee will hear how smart-growth policies in Los Angeles can help to both reduce auto emissions and also help alleviate traffic congestion.
- Saturday 11/14 – From 1 to 4 p.m. Southern California Transit Advocates will hold a meeting at Angelus Plaza at 255 S. Hill Street in downtown L.A., on the 4th floor. It’s free and open to the public. The speaker will be Paul Dyson of RailPAC who discusses Friends 4 HSR SoCal, which describes itself as “passionate supporters of the High Speed Rail concept in Southern California that show up to events where opponents congregate to be the project Champions.”
- Sunday 11/15 – The re-scheduled Hollywood Sign Summit convenes at the Griffith Observatory in Griffith Park, from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. It’s a 3-hour walk, plus discussion of how to accommodate sign access while protecting neighborhoods and park resources. Additional details, including feeder walks, at deLaB or Facebook event page.
- Sunday 11/15 – Santa Monica Spoke hosts the Santa Monica Family Bike Festival – a day full of free bike activities for the whole family. Festivities take place from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at McKinley School at 2401 Santa Monica Blvd in Santa Monica. Additional details at Santa Monica Spoke.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.