This Week In Livable Streets
- Monday 8/17 – This afternoon, Metro hosts another Active Transportation Strategic Plan from 4 to 6 p.m. at Lawndale Community Center at 14700 Burin Avenue in Lawndale. Details at Metro.
- Monday 8/17 – Tonight, the city of Pasadena will consider approving its General Plan Land Use and Transportation components, including setting things up to expand use of its development fees. Hearing starts at 6:30 p.m. at Pasadena City Hall. Pasadena residents are encouraged to attend, and/or contact their representatives. Read Pasadena Complete Streets Coalition alert for more details.
- Wednesday 8/19 – The UCLA Institute of Transportation Studies & Lewis Center for Regional Policy Studies host a webinar on Streetscape Design to Improve Walking and Cycling. It takes place online Wednesday from noon to 1 p.m. It’s free if for viewers who watch it at either at UCLA in Westwood or SCAG in downtown L.A. Details here, rsvp at Eventbrite.
- Wednesday 8/19 – Metro’s new CEO Phil Washington speaks on the future of Los Angeles transportation at a Zocalo talk at 7 p.m. at the Plaza on Olvera Street. The free event is already full, but if you show up early, you can probably get a seat. Details at Zocalo.
- Thursday 8/20 – The Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) and the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) host an Exide Community Advisory Committee meeting from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Huntington Park Community Center, 6925 Salt Lake Ave. For information contact Derrick Alatorre, Public Advisor, at 909-396-3122.
- Thursday 8/20 – Help support Great Streets by attending a fundraiser party from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. at City Labs, 1645 E. 6th Street, in Boyle Heights. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 8/22 – Community Health Councils host a free Walkability & Pedestrian Safety Workshop from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 3731 Stocker Street, Suite 201 in South Los Angeles. Details and rsvp here.
- Saturday 8/22 – Community Services Unlimited hosts Earth Day South L.A. Every Day to celebrate and fundraise for the movement for healthier food access for South L.A. Festivities take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Paul Robeson Center at 6569 S Vermont Ave in South L.A. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 8/22 – The Foothill Gold Line Construction Authority is celebrating light rail construction nearing completion. The Authority is hosting dedication ceremonies at each of the new stations due to open in early 2016. This Saturday, celebrate the new Arcadia Gold Line Station at 10 a.m. at 201 N. First Avenue in Arcadia. Details here.
- Saturday 8/22 – SBLA sister site Santa Monica Next hosts a Summer Cocktail Party fundraiser from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in Ocean Park. Tickets and details here.
- It’s not to early to sign up to volunteer for LA County Bicycle Coalition’s annual September bike and walk count.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email email@example.com.