The Week in Livable Streets Events
Ahhhh, the week before Bike Week. All sorts of bike goodness in the air.
- Tuesday – The city’s Planning and Land Use Committee will formally put to rest the controversy over the MyFigueroa complete streets plan. As Joe Linton reported on Friday, the formal objection to the environmental review has been dropped, and now all that’s left is the formality. The PLUM Committee meets at 2:30 p.m. Read the agenda, here.
- Wednesday – If there was ever a forum I pre-judged before I went/saw/listened in it’s this one. Zocalo and Metro sponsor a public forum on how important the I-710 is. Colan Nolan is moderating. I’m thinking this turns into a pr rally for the Big Dig or the even worse 710 expansion project in Long Beach. Get the event details, here.
- Thursday – The plan to make a complete street on South Figueroa may be all-but-settled; but the debate on North Figueroa rages on. To make matters more complicated, Los Angeles City Councilmember Gil Cedillo is floating a “compromise” proposal that would kill the #Fig4All complete street plan and replace it with a series of sharrows on other streets that accomplish none of the goals of the Bike Plan. This Thursday, Cedillo and LADOT are holding a public meeting. Surprise! There’s going to be a bike ride to it. Get the details, here.
- Saturday – Temple City is throwing a party for its new protected bike lanes on Rosemead Boulevard. We’re all invited! And there’s going to be a bike ride…a big one! Get the party details, here. Get the ride details, here.
- Saturday – Bring the family for an educational fun-filled day at Palms Elementary School, 3520 Motor Avenue. This year’s Bike Rodeo will feature an Interactive Bike and Traffic Safety Course presented by Safe Moves, a non-profit organization that provides bicycle safety and transit education programs for Elementary and Middle Schools. Get the details, read the flyer, here.
- Sunday – The collaboration between CICLE and Bike Week Pasadena has long been the bike week jewel for the region. How a smaller city manages to have the best bike week when Metro/LADOT team up is a major story that few talk about. Anyway, Bike Week Pasadena kicks off on Sunday with Bike Education Day. There’s a full day of events. Get the agenda, here. Check back next week for the rest of the Bike Week fun.
Did we miss something? Is there something we need to know for next week? Let us know at email@example.com