City Bicycle Advisory Committee Examines Safe Routes to School Program
RSVP so that we have a list of attendees and can set up the room to accommodate everyone.
You can get a quick look at what LADOT currently requires for its “School Bicycle Safety and Transit Education Program” on pages numbered 2-17 of the attached contract (pp. 11-26 of the PDF file). Publicly-sourced contracting documents concerning the program are on the BAC Google Drive. I’ve cut and pasted some relevant sections at the bottom.
To get the conversation going (at our meeting, not here online), I have some suggestions from myself and others:
· Facilitate student-initiated active transportation programs (see SRTS webinar “Authentic Middle School Youth Engagement in Safe Routes to School” included at http://www.saferoutespartnership.org/resourcecenter/National-Partnership-Webinars).
· Establish an active transportation “champion” at each school, e.g., through PTA, staff, school site council, etc.
· Provide contact information for non-profits active transportation advocates (SRTS/BAC/LACBC/Co-ops).
· Conduct weekend Bike Rodeos (the current contractor does some pro bono).
· Advise council offices and their PAC/BAC reps of schedule beforehand through online schedules.
· Establish online resources including program reporting, metrics, and school suggestions.
We want to take down everyone’s ideas, discuss them, and bring best practices into future contracts.
City of Los Angeles Bicycle Advisory Committee
Advocacy & Education subcommittee chair