How are public health experts interacting with designers to create a healthier places?
On June 22 & June 23, we invite you to join us at the upcoming AIA|LA Design Conference to hear how leading design professionals are evolving the scope of their professional practice to enhance social, cultural and economic value.
Learn how to develop new tools, strategies and opportunities to achieve success in today's shifting economy.
To register, CLICK HERE.
DR. FIELDING AND DR. JACKSON in conversation with DAVID ABEL, KATE DIAMOND and State Architect CHET WIDOM
EXPERIENCING HEALTHIER PLACES (Saturday, June 23rd 9:30am - 10:45am)
An additional voice increasingly is being added to the usual cast of builders, architects, city planners, lobbyists and homeowners who vie for influence over how and where to develop "places" - including housing characteristics, land-use patterns, and transportation. This fresh voice emanates from both our public health and medical communities. The latter argue that city planning and development is integrally related to many of the most pervasive health epidemics in our country, including: asthma, obesity, and diabetes.
We will be asking:
1) The role urban development plays in shaping the health of the community is indisputable; but, the question remains: is there room presently at the table for a public health perspective on future growth in our communities?
2) Are there good examples - existing urban laboratories - for looking at the nexus of health and built environment?
3) When it comes to building healthy places - i.e. cities, schools, transportation - where does responsibility lie?
4) If school boards/districts want to build healthier new schools, how do you each recommend they proceed?
David Abel - Publisher, The Planning Report
moderates a discussion with:
Kate Diamond, FAIA, LEED AP
- Principal, HMC Architects
Dr. Jonathan E. Fielding, MD, MPH, MA, MBA
- Director, Los Angeles County Dept. of Public Health
Dr. Richard J. Jackson, MD, MPH
- Professor & Chair, Environmental Health Studies - UCLA
Chester A. Widom, FAIA
- State Architect, Department of General Services - State of California
For more information, please contact:
Will Wright, Hon. AIA|LA
Director, Government & Public Affairs
AIA Los Angeles