The Week in Livable Streets Events
- Tuesday, Wednesday – The Flying Pigeon Bike Shop is moving from its current location to a storefront right next to Antigua Cultural Coffee House in Cypress Park. If you have some free time today or tomorrow, they could use the help for their bike move. For more details, check out the Flying Pigeon blog.
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday – Meetings continue for the I-710 Corridor Project, the same one we’ve jokingly referred to as the “Big Dig” because of the popular plan to dig a tunnel under South Pasadena and other communities. For more information on this week’s meetings, we have a nice graphic in our calendar section, or better yet click on that nice advertisement to the right.
- Wednesday – Most of our coverage of Malibu over the years has been a somewhat tongue-and-cheek review of their efforts to keep cyclists off the PCH or at least have them “behave better.” However, the city seems to be making a good faith effort to create safe corridors for cyclists in the Bu. Good for them. Get the details of the latest efforts at tomorrow’s meeting.
- Thursday – Metro Board Meeting. Westside Subway. WESTSIDE SUBWAY. WESTSIDESUBWAYWESTSIDESUBWAYWESTSIDESUBWAY!!!! and other stuff. Read the agenda, here.
- Thursday – SurveyLA, the Los Angeles Historic Resources Survey, is looking for suggestions for historic places in the City of Los Angeles. SurveyLA is the first-ever comprehensive program to identify and record the City’s historic resources. This workshop will focus on the communities of Atwater Village, Eagle Rock, El Sereno, Highland Park, Lincoln Heights and Mt. Washington. Get more details, here.
- Friday – In May 2010, Critical Mass protested the massive oil spill in the gulf outside a BP station in Hollywood. The nervous manager called the LAPD, and a somewhat ugly confrontation took place, some of it caught on film. This led to the LAPD/LACM alliance over the last two years which saw the police “escort” the ride through the city. A lot has changed in two years. What hasn’t is that Critical Mass meets at Wilshire/Western at 7:00 P.M.
- Saturday – City Lites sponsors it’s 9th Annual Inner City Sports Festival and Health Fair. Sahra will have more details on the event later in the week. But if you want more details on the 23 mile bike tour which starts in Jesse Owens Park or the 5k fun walk/run click here. The event is free and open to the public.
- Sunday – Bikerowave offers a free class entitled “How to Fix Your Derailleur.” Name doesn’t leave a lot to the imagination. Get more details, here.
Did we miss something? What about events next week? Email all your events suggestions to damien at streetsblog dot org.