This Week In Livable Streets
This story is sponsored by Los Angeles Metro to remind readers of traffic pattern changes resulting from Purple Line Construction. Unless noted in the story, Metro is not consulted for the content or editorial direction of the sponsored content.
Metro board committee meetings, Park(ing) Day, Culver City walking and bicycling meeting, Global Climate Strike, and more.
- Monday 9/16 – Tonight Culver City will host a joint meeting of the City Council/ Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee at 7 p.m. at City Council Chambers at 9770 Culver Boulevard. Agenda items include municipal bike-share, downtown-Expo bike connection, Higuera Street Bridge, and more. Details at meeting agenda.
- Wednesday-Thursday 9/18-19 – Metro board committees will meet to discuss and decide items in advance of next week’s full board meeting. Agendas and staff reports at Metro meetings page.
- Thursday 9/19 – The city of Los Angeles Pedestrian Advisory Committee will meet from 2-4 p.m. at the offices of Alta Planning+Design, 2nd Floor Conference Room, at 617 West 7th Street in downtown Los Angeles. Details at meeting agenda.
- Friday 9/20 – Park(ing) Day is an annual international event where various independent groups temporarily convert parking spaces into mini-parks. Several Park(ing) Day parks are planned in Southern California:
– Mid-City West Neighborhood Council will host three mini-parks, located at Toasted and Roasted (co-hosted by the Melrose Business Improvement District) at 7311 Melrose Avenue, Roji Bakery at 807 S. La Brea Avenue, and L.A. Chankla at 5354 Wilshire Boulevard. Details at Facebook event.
– IBI Group will host a park from around 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in front of their downtown L.A. offices at 315 West 9th Street.
– City of L.A. departments/bureaus – City Planning, Transpotation (LADOT), Sanitation, and Streets L.A. are hosting a mini-park at 530 W. 7th Street near Bottega Louie – from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
– Westwood Village and UCLA are hosting three parks – details at Century City Westwood News.
Any other L.A.-area folks hosting parks? Submit time/location/description/link (email below), and SBLA will share and update this post.
- Friday 9/20 – Activists are calling for a Global Climate Strike to demand transformative action be taken to address the climate emergency. Various Southern California climate strike events listed at The Action Network.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email joe [at] streetsblog.org.