This Week In Livable Streets
Before the regular calendar of events, an announcement: Fall is the time of the year that bike and walk advocates need volunteers to help with annual counts. Sign up now, and get counting later this month.
- Help BikeSGV count bike riders in the cities of Glendora, Montebello, La Puente, Monrovia, and Irwindale – receive a T-shirt and/or other swag. BikeSGV is hosting several count training sessions, starting this Thursday 9/7 and Friday 9/8 at 6 p.m., then continuing on community count days: Saturdays 9/9 and 9/16 at 9 a.m. All trainings take place at the Jeff Seymour Family Center at 10900 Mulhall Street, Room 9, in El Monte. Get information and sign up via BikeSGV. Share and invite friends via Facebook event.
- The L.A. County Bicycle Coalition and L.A. Walks will be counting bikes and peds on Wednesday 9/20 and Saturday 9/23. In advance of count days, the organizations are hosting training sessions at various locations, starting next week Monday 9/11. Get information and sign up via LACBC.
- Tuesday 9/5 – Tonight the Mar Vista Community Council’s Executive and Finance Committee will meet to discuss a possible neighborhood council motion regarding the Venice Boulevard Great Street project. The meeting will take place at 7 p.m. at the Coffee Connection – Station Room at 3838 S. Centinela Avenue in Mar Vista. Details at meeting agenda. The Venice Boulevard Great Street is also on the Wednesday 9/6 MVCC Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, which takes place at 7:30 p.m. at the Windward School Boardroom 1030, Building C at 11350 Palms Boulevard. Details at meeting agenda.
- Thursday 9/7 – BikeSGV hosts a bike/ped count training session at 6 p.m. – see above.
- Friday 9/8 – BikeSGV hosts a bike/ped count training session at 6 p.m. – see above.
- Saturday 9/9 – The city of South El Monte hosts its last Community Bike Ride for 2017. The 8-mile excursion takes place from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. starting from 1415 Santa Anita Avenue in South El Monte. For information call (626) 579-2043 or see Facebook event.
- Saturday 9/9 – Timbuk2 Venice will host a beach clean-up as part of its Summer Sessions series. The event features free food and drink at the store, a group bike ride to the beach, and an afternoon at the beach. The event gets going at 11 a.m. at Timbuk2 at 1410 Abbot Kinney Blvd in Venice. Details at Facebook event.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email joe [at] streetsblog.org.