This Week In Livable Streets
Catch the 2016 VerdeXchange conference underway today! Learn about upcoming construction in South L.A. and Boyle Heights. Save Proyecto Jardin, bike Broadway, attend regular Metro board and L.A. City Transportation committee meetings, and more.
- Monday 1/25 – Tuesday 1/26 – Today and tomorrow! The 2016 Verde Exchange conference is already underway! Today at 2:30 p.m. hear Metro CEO Phil Washington, LAX CEO Deborah Flint, and CA High-Speed Rail Authority CEO Jeff Morales on the future of transportation! Tomorrow: the L.A. River, future cars, and automated transit networks! Check out the full program here.
- Monday 1/25 – Tonight – If you’re lucky there may still be space to catch Shoupian parking expert Richard Willson’s free speaking engagement from 5:30-7:00 p.m. at the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs, Room 2355, at 337 Charles E. Young Drive East on the UCLA Campus. Register and event details here.
- Wednesday 1/27 – The Los Angeles City Council Transportation Committee meets to discuss ATSAC, Westside Mobility Plan contract, and Southern California Association of Governments’ 2016 Regional Transportation Plan/Sustainable Communities Strategy. The meeting is at 1 p.m. at room 1010 at L.A. City Hall. Agenda online here.
- Wednesday 1/27 – The city of Santa Monica wants you to be ready for Expo trains arrival. Attend an Expo safety Q&A with SMPD this week from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Santa Monica Main Branch Library MLK auditorium at 601 Santa Monica Blvd in Santa Monica. Details at flier posted on Facebook.
- Thursday 1/28 – The Metro board holds its monthly meeting starting at 9 a.m. at the Metro Board Room, located behind Union Station. Directors will be discussing Metro connections to the planned Inglewood pro football stadium, and lots more. Find the meeting agenda here.
- Thursday 1/28 – Learn about all the latest in Metro’s Crenshaw/LAX Line Construction at a Construction Update Community Meeting. The meeting takes place from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Employment Development Department at 5401 Crenshaw Boulevard in South Los Angeles. More details at The Source.
- Thursday 1/28 – APA Los Angeles and the Latinos and Planning Division will host a discussion focusing on immigrant communities, gentrification, lack of affordable housing and the informal economy. Panelists include Maria Cabildo, Helen Campbell, Rudy Espinoza and Isela Gracian. The event is free but registration is required. It takes place from 6 to 8:30 p.m. at City Labs Boyle Heights at 553 S Clarence Street in Boyle Heights. Details at Facebook Event. Awww – sold out! Show up early and you might get in.
- Thursday 1/28 – There will be a community briefing on the closure and demolition of the Sixth Street Bridge. It takes place from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Puente Learning Center at 501 S Boyle Avenue in Boyle Heights. Details at Facebook event.
- Thursday 1/28 – CicLAvia hosts a community meeting to get the word out about the upcoming March 6 north San Fernando Valley CicLAvia. Meeting takes place from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Pacoima City Hall at 13520 Van Nuys Boulevard in Pacoima. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 1/30 – Bike to Night on Broadway! Family ride from NELA with various meet-up times along the way. Details at Facebook event.
- Sunday 1/31 – Boyle Heights Projecto Jardin in under threat of eviction from their land; they will host an all-day community forum from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the garden at 1718 Bridge Street in Boyle Heights. Details at Facebook event.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.