This Week In Livable Streets
- Tuesday 1/19 – The city of West Hollywood kicks off its new free CitylineX shuttle to connect WeHo with the Metro Red Line Hollywood Highland Station. Tonight there is a celebration with snacks and speakers starting at 5 p.m. at West Hollywood Library Auto Court at 625 N. San Vicente Boulevard in West Hollywood. Details at West Hollywood website.
- Wednesday 1/20 and Thursday 1/21 – Metro board committees meet to hash out business in advance of next week’s board meeting. Details at Metro.
- Wednesday 1/20 – Speak out on the latest plans to degrade car-free portions of Griffith Park in order to accommodate Hollywood Sign car traffic. There will be a Griffith Park Traffic and Parking Plan presentation at 7 p.m. at the Friendship Auditorium at 3201 Riverside Drive in Los Feliz. Details at CiclaValley. Share via Facebook event.
- Wednesday 1/20 – The Santa Monica Police Department and Metro are hosting two community Q & A meetings, the first of which is at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, January 20 at Virginia Avenue Park’s Thelma Terry Building at 2200 Virginia Avenue in Santa Monica. Attend to learn how to stay safe when walking, biking or driving around Santa Monica with the new Expo Line. Details Details at Facebook.
Thursday 1/21 – The L.A. City departments of City Planning and Transportation host an Open House and Public Hearing for CTC/WLA TIMP (that is Coastal Transportation Corridor Specific Plan “CTCSP” and West Los Angeles Transportation Improvement and Mitigation Specific Plan “WLA TIMP”) Specific Plans Update. Give your input on future transportation projects for western portions of L.A. city, including: transit, bicycle and pedestrian, roadway and intelligent transportation system, and trip reduction programs. Attend one of two identical community meetings, with presentations at 7 p.m.:
– Thursday January 21 from 6 to 8:30 p.m. at Venice High School at 13000 Venice Boulevard
– Tuesday February 2 from 6 to 8:30 p.m. at Henry Medina West LA Parking
Enforcement Facility at 11214 Exposition Blvd in West L.A.
Details at Westside Mobility Plan website or event flier [PDF]
- Saturday 1/23 – L.A. City Councilmember Bob Blumenfield hosts his Third Annual Community Bike Ride, and the second Sherman Way Concept Plan Public workshop. Join Blumenfield and Los Angeles Neighborhood Initiative in exploring neighborhoods and designing future street improvements for Sherman Way from Lindley to Wilbur. Free refreshments and informational tables hosted by sponsoring organizations. Event to be rescheduled if it is raining. Gather at 9 a.m. at Magnolia Science Academy at 18238 Sherman Way in Reseda. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 1/23 – Community Services Unlimited hosts its ongoing free and fun “Earth Day Every Day in South L.A.” from 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. at 6569 South Vermont Avenue in South Los Angeles. The event features affordable, beyond organic produce plus lots of free activities: seedlings, arts and crafts, cooking demonstrations, free food provided by the Village Market Place, music, and a community bike ride! For more information email csu[at]csuinc.org or check the Facebook event.
- Saturday 1/23 – Bob Inman hosts a free 8-mile Urban Walk through Elysian Park, Elysian Heights and Elysian Valley. The excursion starts at 10 a.m. at the Metro Gold Line Chinatown Station. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 1/23 – Southern California Transit Advocates host guest speaker Gary Hewitt, Section Manager for Transit and Non-Motorized Planning at the Orange County Transportation Authority. Hewitt will speak on OCTA’s proposed 2016 Bus Service Plan. There may also be discussion of Metro service changes for June 2016. The meeting begins at 1 p.m. at Angelus Plaza at 255 S. Hill Street (4th floor) in downtown Los Angeles. Meeting is free and open to the public.
- Saturday 1/23 – Santa Monica Spoke welcomes a cyclist riding across the U.S. on a NYC bike-share bike (Generally not recommended – there are cheaper/better/lighter bikes for touring). Starting at 2:30 p.m. there will be a pre-ride, a pier ceremony, and a happy hour hang out. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 1/23 – L.A. Walks hosts its annual Sidewalk Soirée awards dinner! It takes place from 6 to 10 p.m. at a historic Schindler home in Silver Lake. Details at L.A. Walks. Share via Facebook event. Get your ticket in advance!
- Sunday 1/24 – Catch “BUSted! True Stories About Getting Around LA Told By People Who Don’t Drive” a fun show that invites fellow green commuters to share their own stories. It takes place at 5 p.m. at Stories Books and Cafe at 1716 West Sunset Blvd in Echo Park. Details at Facebook event.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email email@example.com.