This Week In Livable Streets
- Monday-Friday 10/3-10/7 – Starting today, Foothill Transit invites Silver Streak riders to test out a demonstration double-decker bus. The ride is free, but riders have to fill out a short survey. The bus will depart from various times and locations; see Foothill Transit website for details.
- Monday-Saturday 10/3-10/8 – Give the L.A. City Planning Department your input on downtown L.A. community plans. Learn about plan policy concepts and tools, discuss key topics, and weigh in on them. Studio open Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m at the Bradbury Building, suite 218, at 304 South Broadway in downtown L.A. Details at Facebook event or DTLA 2040 website.
- Monday 10/3 – Tonight, Bike the Vote hosts its ballot party from 6 to 8:30 p.m. at Iron Triangle Brewing at 1581 Industrial Street in downtown L.A. Details at Facebook event.
- Monday 10/3 – Happy Urbanists convene in North Hollywood tonight from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at Pitfire Pizza at 5211 Lankershim Boulevard in North Hollywood. Right near the NoHo Red/Orange Line station. Details at Facebook event.
- Tuesday 10/4 – Streetsblog L.A. is a media sponsor for tomorrow’s Urban Land Institute – Los Angeles conference Transit Oriented Los Angeles 2016: Planning for Transit. The one-day event takes place from 7:30 a.m. to noon, at the Japanese American National Museum, in downtown Los Angeles. Speakers include City of Los Angeles Planning Director Vince Bertoni and L.A. Metro Chief Planning Officer Therese McMillan in a keynote conversation. Details and registration at ULI-L.A. website.
- Tuesday 10/4 – Metro hosts its first Older Adult Transportation Expo from 8:30 a.m. to noon at the Old Ticket Concourse at Union Station at 800 N. Alameda Street in downtown L.A. Details at Facebook event.
- Wednesday 10/5 – Design East of La Brea (de LaB) hosts a tour of Metro Bike Share. Meet at 6 p.m. at LADOT Headquarters at 100 South Main Street in downtown Los Angeles. Details at Facebook event.
- Thursday-Sunday 10/6-10/9 – The 2016 New Urbanism Film Festival comes to Los Angeles. The grand opening is Thursday night with the U.S. premiere of “Art of Recovery.” Films screens Friday night starting at 7:30 p.m. and all day Saturday and Sunday. There are also walking tours, storytelling, and more. Thursday through Saturday events take place at ACME Hollywood Theatre at 135 North La Brea Avenue in Hollywood. Sunday festivities take place at the Helms Design Center at 8754 Washington Boulevard in Culver City. Event details at NUFF website. Purchase tickets via Eventbrite.
- Saturday 10/8 – Bike ride in honor of cyclist Benjamin Torres, killed in a hit-and-run while he was riding in Gardena. Meet at noon at Benjamin Torres ghost bike in Gardena. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 10/8 – East Yard Communities for Environmental Justice youth present #ReclaimingTheLARiver, a photography and film exhibit focused on reclaiming the dignity and respect of the L.A. River by and for the South L.A. River communities and in support of Community Alternative 7 for the 710 Freeway South project. Details at Facebook event.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email joe [at] streetsblog.org.