This Week In Livable Streets
Tonight, support the protected bikeway planned for Union Street in Pasadena. Give your input on the future of LADOT transit operations. Metro committee meetings resume. Plus lots of bike rides, celebrations, and a farewell party this weekend.
- Tuesday 8/16 – Tonight! Pasadena hosts a community meeting on the planned Union Street 2-way protected bike lanes. The meeting takes place from 5 to 6 p.m. at Pasadena Presbyterian Church’s Gamble Lounge at 585 E. Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena. For details see Facebook event and SBLA coverage earlier today. If you cannot attend but wish to comment on the project, contact Rich Dilluvio, Pasadena Department of Transportation, at (626) 744-7254 or rdilluvio[at]cityofpasadena.net.
- Wednesday, Thursday 8/17-18 – Metro committee meetings resume after a summer break. Agendas and staff reports at Metro meetings page.
- Saturday 8/20 – State Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon, Supervisor Hilda Solis, and the Rivers and Mountains Conservancy (RMC) host a bike ride and run along the LA River. Registration is at 8 a.m with run and ride starting at 8:30 a.m. The event starts at Maywood Riverfront Park at 5000 Slauson Avenue in Maywood, and finishes at Cudahy River Park at 5322 Clara Street in Cudahy. More information and RSVP at Rendon’s website.
- Saturday 8/20 – The L.A. County Bicycle Coalition and Cudahy Councilmember Baru Sanchez are leading a series of monthly Ride Southeast L.A. rides. Meet at 9:45 a.m. and depart at 10 a.m. from Cudahy City Hall at 5220 Santa Ana Street in Cudahy. Details at LACBC.
- Saturday 8/20 – LADOT is holding a series of eight community meetings on the future of Commuter Express, DASH and Cityride Services. The first meeting takes place from 1 to 2 p.m. at Robert M. Wilkinson Multi-Purpose Center at 8956 Vanalden Avenue in Northridge. Meeting details at LADOT. Give input via LADOT’s online survey. Meetings continue through August 31 at various L.A. locations.
- Saturday 8/20 – Eastside Sol hosts a community celebration of art, music, and a healthy environment. The free event is for families and residents to learn about, and participate in, clean energy demonstrations and pilot projects. There will be live mural and screen-printing demonstrations, a solar-powered music stage, vendors, face painting, and more. It takes place from 2 to 6 p.m. at Mariachi Plaza at 730 Pleasant Avenue in Boyle Heights. See Facebook event for details.
- Sunday 8/21 – The Tour de Laemmle was postponed due to forest fire smoke. It is back this Sunday. Ride is variable distances, multiple starting points and times, lots to see. See Facebook event for details.
- Sunday 8/21 – Multicultural Communities for Mobility is hosting a farewell party for kick-ass transportation equity activist Maria Sipin who is departing for Portland. Wish Sipin well from 1 to 4 p.m. at Angel City Brewery at 216 S Alameda Street in downtown Los Angeles. See Facebook event for details.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.