This Week In Livable Streets
- Monday 8/1 – Bike-share improvements: Metro Bike Share is open to walk-up customers, with a $1.75 introductory rate available through October 1. New Breeze bike-share rates in effect.
- Monday 8/1 – Tonight! The city of Los Angeles is hosting a series of ten community meetings on Vision Zero to engage community leaders and discuss strategies. Tonight’s meeting is from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Jefferson Vassie Wright Library at 2211 W. Jefferson Boulevard in South L.A. Details at earlier SBLA coverage. Meetings continue in various L.A. neighborhoods through August 10.
- Monday 8/1 – Tonight! The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is holding a meeting about flood risk strategies for the Glendale Narrows stretch of the L.A. River, which includes the current eight miles of bike path that the Corps closed during last year’s anticipated El Niño rains. The meeting takes place from 6 to 8:30 p.m. at Friendship Auditorium at 3201 Riverside Drive in Los Feliz. Details at USACE meeting notice [PDF] and CiclaValley.
- Tuesday 8/2 – Vision Zero meetings continue – see 8/1 above. Tuesday’s meeting is from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Palms Rancho Park Library at 2920 Overland Avenue in Palms. Details at earlier SBLA coverage.
- Wednesday 8/3 – Vision Zero meetings continue – see 8/1 above. Wednesday’s meeting is from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the San Pedro Library at 931 S. Gaffey Street in San Pedro. Details at earlier SBLA coverage.
- Friday 8/5 – Celebrate the opening of History Keepers: Traversing Los Angeles, an exhibition of unique and curious objects about how people move through Los Angeles. The show is presented by the California Historical Society and L.A. as Subject and takes place at the El Tranquilo Gallery at El Pueblo in downtown L.A. The address is 634 N. Main Street, but enter via Olvera Street. The opening will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday. Opening details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 8/6 – The Ovarian Psycos host their annual free Clitoral Mass bike ride “open to all WOC & POC womxn, gender-non-conforming, queer, trans, two-spirited folx only!” Gather at 9 a.m. at Lou Costello Jr Recreation Center at 3141 E Olympic Boulevard in Boyle Heights. Details at Facebook event. Also see SBLA coverage of last year’s ride.
- Saturday 8/6 – L.A. Walks hosts a walk around the perimeter of the Santa Monica Airport to learn about new proposals to transform the site into a future grand park. Meet at 10 a.m. at 2600 Ocean Park Boulevard in Santa Monica. Details at Facebook event.
- Sunday 8/7 – Finish The Ride and Velo Studio present the Tour de Griffith Park: An Introduction to Safe and Fun Riding. It is a free community ride, no preregistration needed. Meet at 8 a.m. at Velo Studio at 3200 Los Feliz Boulevard in Los Feliz. 20-mile intermediate training ride departs at 8:15 a.m. 10-mile fun ride departs at 8:30 a.m. Details at Facebook event.
- Sunday 8/7 – L.A. County Bicycle Coalition and Just Ride L.A. host a Sunday Funday 15-mile bike ride. Gather at 9:30 a.m. at Just Ride L.A. at 1626 S Hill Street in downtown Los Angeles. Details at Facebook event.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email email@example.com.