This Week in Livable Streets
- Tuesday 7/28 – The L.A. City Council will continue to hear from the public on who will pay to repair and maintain sidewalks. Streetsblog previewed the latest sidewalk repair plan here. Tuesday’s hearing [agenda] will take place at 6 p.m. at the Mar Vista Recreation Center, 11430 Woodbine Street in Mar Vista – with later meetings this week in Eagle Rock and Van Nuys. For additional details read this article at Investing in Place.
- Tuesday 7/28 – Contractors Walsh Shea will update the community on Metro Crenshaw Line construction. The community meeting is from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Lincoln Memorial Congregational Church at 4126 Arlington Ave in South L.A. More details at Facebook Event.
- Wednesday 7/29 – L.A. City Councilmember Gil Cedillo and the city’s Bureau of Engineering celebrate the completion of the North Main Street Bridge renovation project. Celebration takes place at 2 p.m. at the corner of N. Main and Albion Street in Lincoln Heights. Details at event flier.
- Wednesday 7/29 – Wednesday’s sidewalk repair council hearing [agenda] will take place at 6 p.m. at the Eagle Rock Center for the Arts, at 2225 Colorado Boulevard in Eagle Rock. See Tuesday listing for additional background.
Thursday 7/30 – L.A. City Councilmember Felipe Fuentes, the L.A. City Department of Transportation (LADOT), and Pacoima Beautiful are hosting a grand opening celebration for the opening of People St’s Bradley Plaza. The festivities take place at 10 a.m. at Bradley Plaza, at the corner of Van Nuys Blvd and Bradley Avenue in Pacoima. More details at Facebook event.
- Thursday 7/30 – Thursday’s sidewalk repair council hearing [agenda] will take place at 6 p.m. at Van Nuys City Hall, at 6262 Van Nuys Blvd, three blocks north of the Metro Orange Line busway and bikeway. See Tuesday listing for additional background.
- Thursday 7/30 – Explore L.A. City’s first parking-protected bike lanes on Reseda Boulevard in Northridge at “REvisit REseda Blvd” an art walk and scavenger hunt taking place from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. this Thursday. Event details here. L.A. County Bicycle Coalition (LACBC) hosts a feeder bike ride departing 5 p.m. from Sepulveda Orange Line Station. Ride details here.
- Thursday 7/30 – East Yard Communities for Environmental Justice hosts a community forum against destructive South 710 Freeway widening. The meeting will take place from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the South Gate Municipal Auditorium at 4900 Southern Avenue in South Gate. Details at Facebook event.
- Friday 7/31 – Free bike-in movie night screening Big Hero 6 in Vermont Square Park at 1201 W. 48th Street in South L.A. Ride with the East Side Riders to get the outdoor screening taking place 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 8/1 – The Ovarian Psyco Cycles 4th Annual Clitoral Mass bike tour takes to the streets. The free ride, for womxn-identified, two-spirited, and gender non-conforming folx, departs from the Plaza at El Pueblo/Olvera Street (across from Union Station) at 11 a.m. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 8/1 – Eastside Sol is a free solar food truck and solar festival featuring live mural and screen-printing demonstrations by local artists and youth, solar-powered music stage, free fruit and aguas frescas, local vendors, free fruit trees, free face painting, and information booths from local environmental justice and clean energy organizations. Lots of free stuff; check it out from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m at Mariachi Plaza. Details at Facebook event. The mural painting there even has its own Facebook event.
- Sunday 8/2 – The LACBC hosts its monthly Sunday Funday ride in Lakewood. Gather 9:30 a.m. at Lakewood Del Valle Park at 4658 Woodruff. Details at Facebook event.
- Sunday 8/2 – The East Side Riders are hosting a bike-safety themed kids’ fun day from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the Watts Labor Community Action Committee at 10950 S. Central Avenue. The South L.A. Kids Bike Festival will feature free kids safety skills tips and a bike safety festival featuring an obstacle course/skills station, group ride, helmet give-away, gift bags, bike tune-ups, and skateboarding safety demos. Details at Facebook event.
- It’s not too early to get your tickets next week’s Saturday 8/8 Streetsblog Party and Fundraiser at L.A. Eco-Village!
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.