This Week in Livable Streets
Summer’s here – so lots of rides and festivals: the River Ride, Mask Festival, Kidical Mass, and more. On the governmental side of things, there’s Metro’s Board meeting and a special L.A. City Council hearing on sidewalk repair.
- Tuesday 6/23 – Communities for a Better Environment and Climate Resolve Extreme present, “Heat and Vulnerability in Los Angeles: A Discussion,” from 10:30 a.m. to 12 noon at the California Endowment in downtown Los Angeles. Free, but register here.
- Tuesday 6/23 – At special joint meeting of the Public Works and Budget committees [agenda PDF], the Los Angeles City Council begins public deliberations on who will pay to repair and maintain sidewalks. Streetsblog previewed the latest sidewalk repair plan here. The first of what was announced as a series of hearings around the city will take place Tuesday at the Harbor City Branch Library at 24000 S. Western Avenue.
- Tuesday 6/23 – Zócalo presents a free panel discussion asking, “Can Transit Make Housing More Affordable?” (or is that just Anglo triumphalism, too?) The speakers include Joan Ling, Mike Bonin, and more. It takes place at MOCA this Tuesday night at 7 p.m. More details and make a reservation at Zócalo.
- Wednesday 6/24 – The L.A. City Council Transportation Commitee meets at 2 p.m. at City Hall. On the agenda [PDF] are pedestrian stings, leading pedestrian intervals, and more.
- Thursday 6/25 – Metro’s monthly Board of Directors meeting is expected to consider eliminating transfers on fares paid by cash, extending the Sheriff’s policing contract, approving the agency’s first ever bike-share contract, and more. Board meets at 9 a.m. at Metro headquarters, right behind Union Station. Full Metro meeting agendas and reports should be posted here shortly.
- Thursday 6/25 – Bike with C.I.C.L.E. to go see the outdoor screening of Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure at the Sunset Triangle Park. Details here.
- Thursday 6/25 – The last in a series of meetings around L.A. on street vending will be held at the WLCAC, 10950 S. Central Avenue, at 6 p.m. The meetings are an effort by the L.A. Street Vendor Campaign — a coalition of organizations, business owners, and individuals advocating on behalf of the city’s 50,000+ vendors — to gather feedback from the community that can be used to help L.A. take the necessary steps to establish the first citywide vending ordinance. For more information, visit the campaign’s website.
- Friday 6/26 – Dinner fundraiser by L.A. Rooted to raise money to take youth on the Gratitude Bike Tour. Details here.
- Saturday 6/27 – Leimert Park Village hosts its 20|20 Vision Initiative Charette from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Details here and more information in a SBLA article coming this week.
- Saturday 6/27 – Santa Monica hosts a 4th of July themed Kidical Mass ride – from 9 a.m. to 12 noon at Reed Park. Details here.
- Sunday 6/28 – LACBC hosts its 15th Annual River Ride – various starting points, times, and distances to suit every kind of bicyclist! Details here.
- Sunday 6/28 – The Ride On! Bike Co-Op and Black Kids on Bikes present Free Bike Tune-up Sessions from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Leimert Park. Details here.
- Sunday 6/28 – Leimert Park Village hosts its 5th Annual Mask Festival honoring the ancestors from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. Details here.
- Sunday 6/28 – C.I.C.L.E. and the Bike Oven host a 5 p.m. NELA fireworks ride. Details here.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we need to know for future calendars? Email email@example.com.