Vote for Your 2014 Streetsies and Then Donate to Streetsblog!
Ok, ok…we hear you. You don’t like that we put the Streetsie polls in five different posts. Loud. And. Clear.
After the jump, you can find each of our five Streetsies polls. For more people’s choice action, head over to the Streetsblog USA Streetsies. Knock yourself out.
But first, a pitch.
2014 was an exciting year for Los Angeles. The arrival of Seleta Reynolds heralded a new day for LADOT and the promise of Great Streets should be realized in 2015. But the hope and promise for the coming year was tempered by the roadblocks to safe streets put up on North Figueroa, the Hyperion-Glendale Bridge, Westwood Boulevard in West L.A., Santa Monica Boulevard in Beverly Hills and too many other streets throughout the county.
2014 was also an exciting year for the Southern California Streets Initiative, the non-profit that co-publishes Streetsblog Los Angeles with OpenPlans. Melanie Curry and Joe Linton joined Sahra Sulaiman on the writing team as Damien Newton focused more on the management of the non-profit, fundraising and public events. LongBeachize and Santa Monica Next both took off as independent news sources in their own right as Brian Addison (LBI) and Jason Islas (Next) proved that Streetsblog-style Impact Journalism can work in cities of all sizes.
And, we have another big announcement coming. But you’re going to have to wait another couple of weeks…
Okay, now enjoy the voting. Polls close Friday at noon. We’ll run the results early next week after the Board and staff votes are taken into account.
Streetsies 2014: Deborah Murphy Award for Excellence in Advocacy
- Finish the Ride (46%, 671 Votes)
- Tafarai Bayne (42%, 612 Votes)
- Cynthia Rose (10%, 142 Votes)
- Danny Gamboa (2%, 31 Votes)
- Leimert Park 20/20 Vision Initiative Group (1%, 19 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,461
Streetsies 2014: Journalist/Writer of the Year
- Nathan Lucero (41%, 129 Votes)
- Let's Go L.A. (23%, 72 Votes)
- Laura Nelson (15%, 46 Votes)
- Chris Hawthorne (13%, 42 Votes)
- Hank Scott (7%, 23 Votes)
Total Voters: 312
Streetsies 2014: Business of the Year
- Espacio 1839 (47%, 287 Votes)
- Bike Center (27%, 166 Votes)
- Designed by Colleen (14%, 85 Votes)
- KAOS Network (10%, 62 Votes)
- Pine and Crane (1%, 9 Votes)
Total Voters: 607
Streetsies 2014: Public Servant of the Year
- John Jones (48%, 3,000 Votes)
- Tim Fremaux (39%, 2,413 Votes)
- Francie Stefan (6%, 388 Votes)
- High Desert Corridor Artist (5%, 330 Votes)
- Alan Loomis (1%, 65 Votes)
Total Voters: 6,192
2014 Elected Official of the Year
- Councilmember Jose Huizar (53%, 5,047 Votes)
- Councilmember Joe Buscaino (43%, 4,101 Votes)
- Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas (2%, 153 Votes)
- Assemblymember Mike Gatto (1%, 113 Votes)
- Councilmember Mike Bonin (1%, 107 Votes)
Total Voters: 9,515