This Week in Livable Streets
Taste of Monterey Park, Walk to School, Ride for Safety and Justice for Benjamín Torres, and more!
- Monday 10/8 – Today is Indigenous Peoples Day – for Los Angeles City activities see City Councilmember Mitch O’Farrell Twitter.
- Tuesday 10/9 – BikeSGV, with the Monterey Park Chamber of Commerce and Metro, will host a free Taste of Monterey Park ride, with free food samples, and various prizes. Festively lit bicycles are encouraged. Gather at 6:30 p.m. for a 7 p.m. departure from the Monterey Park Chamber of Commerce at El Encanto at 700 El Mercado Avenue. The event is free, though participants need to sign-up via Eventbrite.
- Wednesday 10/10 – Southern California schools will celebrate Walk to School Day. For San Gabriel Valley walk to school events, contact Diane Velez, BikeSGV Program Coordinator at diane [at] bikesgv.org.
- added: Wedneday 10/10 – At 9 p.m., CiclaValley and others will be placing a ghost bike at at the corner of Strathern Street and Bellingham Avenue in Sun Valley – to remember a cyclist who was killed there in a Sunday night hit-and-run crime. For details, see Facebook event.
- Saturday 10/13 – This Saturday at noon will be the 6th Anniversary Bike Ride for Safety and Justice for Benjamín Torres, who was killed while on his way to work in a hit-and-run in Gardena. The ride will gather at 135th Street and Wilton Place in Gardena. Details at Facebook event.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email joe [at] streetsblog.org.