This Week in Livable Streets
- Tuesday 7/5 – tonight! The East Side Riders Bike Club host their Taco Tuesday Fundraiser every Tuesday at the ESR CoOp at 11321 S Central Avenue in Watts. This includes from 6 to 9 p.m. tonight. Details at Facebook event.
- Tuesday 7/5 – tonight! Update on the 6th Street Viaduct Replacement Project regarding demolition, detours, and the estimated timeline. The meeting takes place from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Art Share L.A., 801 E. 4th Place in the DTLA Arts District. Details at Facebook event.
- Tuesday 7/5 – tonight! The Monrovia City Council will be voting tonight on approving the city’s new bike plan. Read earlier SBLA coverage here. The meeting gets underway at 7:30pm at Monrovia City Hall Council Chambers at 415 S Ivy Avenue in Monrovia. Details on meeting agenda [PDF].
- Wednesday 7/6 – Big City Forum hosts a panel discussion on the future of downtown Los Angeles, including representatives from LADOT and Great Streets. The forum takes place from 6 to 9 p.m. at LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes, at 501 N Main Street in downtown Los Angeles. Event is free but registration required. Details at Facebook event or Eventbrite.
- Thursday 7/7 – Metro Bike Share hosts its opening celebrations, including food, music, speakers and a ceremonial ride-off. The festivities take place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Grand Park at 200 N Grand Avenue in downtown L.A. Read SBLA’s Metro Bike Share explainer here. Event details and register in advance at Eventbrite.
- Thursday 7/7 – The Transit Coalition hosts California High-Speed Rail Authority CEO Jeff Morales speaking on “High-Speed Rail: Out of the Station.” The talk takes place from 6 to 9 p.m. at Metro Headquarters, Union Station Conference Room at 1 Gateway Plaza in downtown L.A., located right behind Union Station. Payment and registration details at Eventbrite.
- Saturday 7/9 – The Ovarian Psycos documentary will premiere at Outfest. The film explores how a group of Xicana womyn redefine identity, struggle against patriarchy, build community, and rail against gentrification by taking to the streets on their bikes. The screening will be held at 2:30 p.m. at REDCAT at 631 W 2nd Street in downtown Los Angeles. There is also a post-screening party at Precinct at 357 South Broadway in downtown L.A. Details at Facebook event.
- Open now, closes 7/28 – El Pueblo and the Pacific Electric Railway Historical Society host “A Fare to Remember” – an exhibition of rail memorabilia at the new El Tranquillo Gallery at 634 N. Main Street in downtown L.A., located right next to La Golondrina Restaurant on Olvera Street. The exhibition is open Tuesday through Sunday, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Next Week – Monday 7/11 – Metro begins a 3-month closure of Patsaouras Plaza, for reconstruction and reworking. Details at Metro.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.