This BIKE WEEK In Livable Streets #BikeWeekLA
Be Traffic! The good kind, though, because it’s Bike Week. It’s that fresh springtime week when some entities that do very little for bikes most of the time talk about how much they do for bikes, while finalizing their budgets that contain nearly nothing for bikes. Smile for the camera! It’s also a good time for cynical editors/writers to get out and ride hang around with other people who bike. Follow and promote via #BikeWeekLA.
- Monday – Bike week kick-off press event at 10 a.m. at Grand Park in Downtown L.A. – features Metro, LADOT, Caltrans, Metrolink, Good Samaritan Hospital, CicLAvia, L.A. County Bicycle Coalition, and C.I.C.L.E.
- Monday – Ride and eat as C.I.C.L.E. and the city of Pasadena kick off Bike Week Pasadena with their free fun easy A Taste of Pasadena ride. Departs Memorial Park Metro Gold Line Station at 6:30 p.m. Details/RSVP at Facebook event.
- Monday – Caltrans and Metro host the “Is Bicycling In Your Future?” (um, just assume Angelenos don’t already bike) panel, which addresses questions including “Can bike infrastructure make the streets safe enough for you to ride on?” (which is to say: don’t bike now, but just wait for infrastructure) and “Would you let your child cycle in L.A.?” (um, only bad parents would do such an irresponsible-sounding thing – please strap that kid into the mini-van!) Despite awful gloomy crap promotion, it actually looks like plenty of worthwhile speakers: LACBC’s Tamika Butler, MCM’s Maria Sipin, LAPD Sergeant Mike Flynn, and moderator KCRW’s Frances Anderton. The gloom fills the Caltrans Amphitheater at 100 S. Main Street in downtown starting at 6 p.m. tonight. Details/RSVP at Facebook event.
- Tuesday – For over a decade, Good Samaritan’s Blessing of the Bicycles has been an excellent, respectful, fun local bike event. Enjoy it tomorrow at 8 a.m. – details at Facebook.
- Tuesday – LACBC and LAPD Present: Ask an Officer – an evening of discussion between LAPD and the bicycling community. Takes place at 7 p.m. at LACBC headquarters at 634 S Spring Street in downtown Los Angeles. Details/RSVP here.
- Tuesday – Bike-In Movie starts at 8 p.m. at Marsh Park in Frogtown. Details at Facebook Event. There are several feeder rides, but they’re difficult to decipher online. Feeder ride from Echo Park details here.
- Wednesday – LACBC and Metro host a downtown Los Angeles Lunch Ride, including Peddler’s Creamery ice cream! Meet at Union Station at noon. Details at Facebook event.
- Wednesday – Bike Week Pasadena continues with the Women’s Bike Night ride. Departs Memorial Park Gold Line Station at 6:30 p.m. Details/RSVP at Facebook event.
- Thursday – Bike to Work Day. See LACBC website for pit-stops. And Metro’s Google map for additional pit stops.
- Thursday – Color Wheels Art Show at Caltrans headquarters in downtown L.A. Bike art opening is 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Details here.
- Thursday – Biking to work also means biking from work, which includes Handlebar Happy Hours. See LACBC website for watering holes.
- Friday – Metro’s Bike Night a Union Station – details/RSVP at Facebook event.
- Friday – Bike Week Pasadena bike-in movie – details/RSVP at Facebook event.
- Saturday – Bike Week Pasadena free rolling fun ride depart at 4 p.m. from Caltech’s Y – details/RSVP at Facebook event.
Did we miss anything big? Is there something we need to know for future calendars? What else is up for Bike Month? Email email@example.com.