The Week in Livable Streets Events
It’s a short week, but the things that are on the calendar are all major events, starting with the Milt Olin advocacy ride.
- Wednesday – The Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition (LACBC), Yield to Life, and Ghost Bike Foundation will host a ride and vigil for Milt Olin to call on District Attorney Jackie Lacey to revisit the investigation and press charges against the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputy who killed him. Olin was riding in a bike lane on Mulholland Highway in Calabasas on the afternoon of December 8th, 2013, when he was hit from behind by a sheriff’s deputy who was typing on his mobile computer and drifted into the bike lane. On Wednesday, August 27th, the District Attorney’s office announced that they will not press charges against the deputy due to “lack of sufficient evidence” of the deputy’s negligence, despite department training that specifically warns employees that using a mobile computer while operating a vehicle is “inherently unsafe.” For more information on the ride, click here. For more of Streetsblog’s coverage of the crash and investigation, click here.
- Thursday – The Metro Board of Directors is going to meet to discuss how awful a job the Sheriff’s Department is doing fulfilling their security contract with the transit agency. Get the bare meeting details here. We are editing a preview of the meeting by Dana for a little later today.
- Friday – Mobility 21 is holding its annual conference in Orange County. Eric Garcetti and a bunch of heavyweights are going to be there. Registration is closed, but you can get most of the conference information at the Mobility 21 website.
- Saturday – Train enthusiasts, history buffs and those wanting to learn about Southern California’s railway history are welcome to attend Fall Railroadiana Swap Meet at the Orange Empire Railway Museum in Perris. The open-air fundraising event for the nonprofit museum will feature 180-plus tables of railroad antiques, collectibles, art, books and model and toy trains. Get the details, here.
- Sunday – The next LACBC Sunday Funday ride will be led by local chapter Carson Bicycle Coalition. The route will be a 13-mile tour through the Carson’s hidden gems of past, present, and future. More details, here.
- Sunday – Join CicLAvia Explores for a journey through the historic Broadway Theater District in downtown Los Angeles in anticipation of the October CicLAvia – Heart of LA route. The Explores highlight will be a special screening of David Lynch’s classic “Mulholland Drive” at the Million Dollar Theatre at 6 p.m. with all proceeds going to CicLAvia. Get more details, here.
Did we miss something? Is there something we need to know for next week? Email email@example.com.