The Week in Livable Streets Events
It’s Bike Week, so there are bike-related events nearly every day. We’re not going to mention every bike week event, nor provide a comprehensive list of Bike to Work Day stops and Happy Hours. But you can find that information here for Metro’s calendar and here for the always over-achieving Bike Week Pasadena.
- Today – From 11 am to 10 pm the Veggie Grill on Wilshire Blvd. in Santa Monica is hosting a fundraiser for SM Spoke. Mention the fundraiser (or show them this poster) and half of the cost of your order goes to benefit Santa Monica’s bicycling advocates.
- Tuesday – It’s the kitchiest bike/religious event you’ll ever see, the annual Blessing of the Bikes at Good Samaritan’s Hospital. This is the 11th Anniversary of the event. 11 years! Holy Cow! Get more information at Good Sam’s official blessing of the bikes website.
- Tuesday – Metro hosts a “roundtable” (I guess that’s a more inclusive way of saying “symposium”) on the future of public private partnerships. Speakers include Metro Board Chairs and executives past and present and Mayor Eric Garcetti. The event starts early and ends mid-afternoon, so if you’re interested make your plans now. Read the full agenda, here.
- Wednesday – The regularly scheduled meeting of the City Council Transportation Committee has been cancelled. C’mon Mike! Wendy and Bill held special bike-only meetings on Bike Week. Ok, they each did that once…in their combined 12 years chairing the committee…but, still!
- Wednesday, Thursday – The Metro Board of Directors hosts a series of committee meetings to decide what motions and reports will be heard at the following week’s Metro Board of Directors meeting. This week’s Finance Committee meeting will also feature a public hearing on the 2015 budget. I think I heard something about a fare hike being considered. Get all the meeting agendas, here.
- Thursday - It’s Bike to Work Day. Get information on stops in the links at the top. There’s also the “Handlebar Happy Hours” at supportive bars and restaurants around the county.
- Thursday - Hey, speaking of happy hours…if you happen to be in Sacramento, Streetsblog California is hosting its first ever public event as part of the Peds Count conference put on by California Walks. You can see the flyer, here. Invite your friends.
- Friday – There’s not one, but two bike-in movie events. One in Pasadena, one at Union Station. If you have a bike, and aren’t going to be on a plane on the way home from Sacramento, you should check one of them out. Details: Pasadena, Union Station
- Saturday - On Sunday, May 18, Helms Bakery and KCRW present Reinventing the Wheel, the future of mobility in Los Angeles; an afternoon of talk and exhibits focused on the latest in LA’s bike, car, and transit design. Join DnA’s Frances Anderton in conversation with Geoff Wardle (Art Center College of Design), Craig Hodgetts (UCLA’s Hyperloop Suprastudio), Harald Belker(concept designer for Batman and Robin, Minority Report, etc.) and Michael Lejeune (Creative Director Metro Los Angeles). For more information, or to get tickets, click here.
Did we miss something? Is there something we need to know for next week? Let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org.