City departments are starting to shake off the holiday rust and there’s a lot of important meetings on the agenda. The city’s progressive Bike Parking Ordinance finally gets a hearing at City Council, the controversial Wyvernwood complex holds a public hearing and the end might be in sight for the Ara Najarian re-nomination to the Metro Board of Directors.
- Tonight – The LACBC’s East L.A. Bike Ambassador team is meeting tonight at 6:00. Get the meeting details, here. Learn more about the program by reading Streetsblog’s coverage last week.
- Tuesday – The City Council Planning and Land Use Committee meets at 2:30 p.m. to discuss, among other things, the long-proposed changes to the city’s zoning regulations which dramatically increases the amount of new parking required in new development. We’ve been waiting almost a year for this hearing, and it’s finally here.
- Tuesday – The Boyle Heights Neighborhood Council’s Planning and Land Use Committee meets to hear a presentation from the Eastside Transit Oriented Development Sites Update (MTA), a brief presentation
regarding the four sites available for development, and to receive the Committee’s input on the list of land uses identified by community stakeholders. Read the full agenda, here.
- Wednesday – A public hearing scheduled for Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:00 am will discuss the recently released Environmental Impact Report for the proposed Wyvernwood Mixed Use Project. For more on the hearing, visit our friends at Mis Neighbors.
- Saturday – Our friends at Boyle Heights Beat host regular meetings with the community to discuss what is being covered and what they should cover in the area. Its a fun chance to talk about the community and journalism with the next generation of great writers. Get the meeting details, here.
- Saturday – Community Services Unlimited will be holding a Garden Gateway workshop from 9 a.m. to noon. Learn how to prune and care for fruit trees and find ways to make brussels sprouts yummy. The event will take place at CSU’s mini urban farm in Expo Park.
- Saturday – The Bike Ride for Safety and Justice will take place at 4 p.m. in honor of Benjamin Torres, killed in a hit-and-run in Gardena late last year. This short monthly ride is intended to honor his memory and those of all killed in hit-and-runs. For more about the incident that took his life, click here.
- Next Monday – Streetsblog has extensively covered the controversy surrounding the re-nomination of Ara Najarian to the Metro Board of Directors. Najarian has been targeted by fellow Board Members because of his principled opposition to the I-710 Big Dig and his nomination was initially denied. Next week, the nominating committee meets again, and Najarian has vowed to seek re-,re-nomination and has the support of many of the committee members. As the Metro Board turns… Get the meeting details, here.
Did we miss anything? Is there something that NEEDS to be on the calendar for next week? Email damien at streetsblog dot org.