More Metro Meetings Coming Up: Gold Line Eastside Extension Phase II
With meetings already announced to advance the Subway to the Sea and the Regional Connector, Metro could be forgiven if they held off on any other major announcements; but that's not the way things work. Late last week, Metro announced another set of meetings to gather information on the four possible routes for the second Eastside Extension for the Metro Gold Line.
Everyday, 50,000 commuting trips to Downtown Los Angeles from the cities of Bell, Commerce, Downey, El Monte, Industry, Los Angeles' Eastside, Montebello, Monterey Park, Pico Rivera, Rosemead, Santa Fe Springs, South El Monte, Whittier, and unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County; and with both jobs and residency expected to balloon in the coming years, an increase of transit options is needed. Thus, Metro as designed four possible routes to extend the Gold Line into this area to better meet the current and future demand.
During the current round of public outreach, Metro is seeking comments on these four routes, one would utilize SR-60, another would run glide along Beverly, another would split time on Beverly and Whittier and the last would run on Washington. Each route would service different cities, and each is sure to draw different supporters and detractors as people clamor for better transit in their community. As a matter of fact, one of the first posts I ever wrote back at Street Heat was about the Latino Urban Forum's public support of the alternative along Route 60.
For a full list of the upcoming meetings, check out our calendar section, Metro's press release, or just read on after the jump.
he meetings and open houses will be at:
- City of Montebello, Wednesday, April 8, 6:30 p.m., City Hall, Council Chambers, 1600 W. Beverly Blvd., Montebello, CA 90640
- City of South El Monte, Tuesday, April 14, 6:30 p.m., City Hall, Council Chambers, 1415 S Santa Anita Av, South El Monte, CA 91733
- City of Pico Rivera, Tuesday, April 14, 6 p.m., City Hall, Council Chambers, 6615 Passons Blvd. , Pico Rivera CA, 90660
- City of Monterey Park, Wednesday, April 15, 7 p.m., City Hall, Council Chambers, 320 W Newmark Av, Monterey Park, CA 91754
- City of Commerce, Tuesday, April 21, 6:30 p.m., City Hall, Council Chambers, 2535 Commerce Wy, Commerce, CA 90040
- City of Rosemead, Tuesday, April 28, 7 p.m., City Hall, Council Chambers, 8838 E Valley Bl, Rosemead, CA 91770
- City of Whittier, Tuesday, May 12, 6:30 p.m., City Hall, Council Chambers, 13230 Penn St, 1st Floor, Whittier, CA 90602