This Week In Livable Streets
This story is sponsored by Los Angeles Metro to remind readers of traffic pattern changes resulting from the Purple Line Construction. Unless noted in the story, Metro is not consulted for the content or editorial direction of the sponsored content.
Active SGV Advocacy 101, Everyone In 101, Bike Ride For Safety & Justice, Walktober, Culver City New Mobility, and more!
- Ongoing this month – The Pasadena Complete Streets Coalition is hosting Walktober – a month of walking events, including Girl Treks, a Pasadena City Hall tour, an Eaton Canyon hike, and Walktoberfest. Details at PCSC.
- Thursday 10/10 – ActiveSGV will host a social dedicated to Advocacy 101. Learn ways to help you fight for the things you believe in and see how you can be an active part of making the SGV a healthier, more sustainable, more livable place. Plus there will be light refreshments, good company, and a free raffle. The festivities will take place from 7-8:30 p.m. at ActiveSGV headquarters at the Jeff Seymour Family Center at 10900 Mulhall Avenue in El Monte. Details at Facebook event.
- Friday 10/11 – Everyone In will host a homeless advocacy training session, Everyone In 101: South L.A. from 6-8 p.m. at Community Coalition at 8101 Vermont Avenue. Learn about the state of homelessness in L.A. County, an analysis of the housing and homelessness crises, in-depth solutions and engagement opportunities to help house people experiencing homelessness in South L.A. and surrounding neighborhoods. Details at Everyone In.
- Saturday 10/12 – Culver City will host its Arts District Art Walk & Roll Festival, featuring artists, live music, food, wine and beer gardens, tastings, kids activities, interactive art experiences, and a six-block
VeniceWashington Boulevard street closure within easy walking distance of the Metro Expo Culver City Station.
Culver City is updating its General Plan so the city is hosting a speaker series to discuss critical issues affecting the plan, the city, the region, and beyond. At the Art Festival, hear mobility design expert Dan Sturges presenting on New Mobility. Following the presentation, catch a screening of the Dutch documentary film, Why We Cycle. Sturges will present from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and the screening of Why We Cycle will begin at 1:30 p.m. It all will take place at Envoy Property Management at 9929 Venice Boulevard. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 10/12 – Family and friends will host a 7th anniversary Bike Ride For Safety & Justice, commemorating Benjamin Torres. Seven years ago Torres was killed in a hit-and-run crash while he rode his bicycle to work early one morning in Gardena. All are encouraged to attend. The ride starts at 12 noon at 135th Street and Wilton Place in Gardena. Details at Facebook event.
- Next Week: Tuesday-Thursday 10/15-17 – The California Bicycle Summit will take place at the Center for Healthy Communities in Downtown Los Angeles. Details and registration at CalBike.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email joe [at] streetsblog.org.