This Week In Livable Streets
Lots going on: infrastructure equity forum, bicycling equity webinar, affordable housing, Little Tokyo’s Nisei Week including a bike tour, BikeSGV ride marshal training and more
- Tuesday 8/15 – NACTO hosts a free webinar titled Cycling Equity: Why Do Black and Hispanic Communities Bike Less Often, and How Do We Change it? The free webinar will take place from 1-2 p.m. Eastern Time, that is 10-11 a.m. Pacific Time. Details and sign-ups via gotowebinar.
- Tuesday 8/15 – There will be an L.A. Urbanism Happy Hour with a rousing game of Cards Against Urbanity taking place from 6-8 p.m. at HMS Bounty, at 3357 Wilshire Boulevard in Koreatown. Details at Facebook event.
- Wednesday 8/16 – The Alliance for Community Transit L.A. and the Program for Environmental and Regional Equity at USC will host “Infrastructure that Uplifts: Panel Discussion on Equity” – a free panel discussion that asks how can housing, labor and racial justice movements ensure that our public investments uplift rather than uproot. Panelists include Angela Glover Blackwell, CEO of PolicyLink, Patrisse Khan-Cullors, Co-Founder of Black Lives Matter, Madeline Janis, Executive Director of Jobs to Move America, Isela Gracian, President of East L.A. Community Corporation, and moderator Manuel Pastor, Director of Program for Environmental and Regional Equity at USC. The event takes place from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at USC, Taper Hall Room 201 at 3501 Trousdale Parkway. Details at Facebook event. RSVP via splashthat.
- Thursday 8/17 – Abundant Housing L.A. hosts a state housing reform presentation and dialogue featuring legislators Richard Bloom and Scott Wiener. The free forum takes place from 7-8:15 p.m. at USC Ralph and Goldy Lewis Hall, Room 100 at 650 Childs Way. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 8/19 through Sunday 8/27 – The Nisei Week Japanese festival celebrates with various events, competitions, parade, and more taking place around downtown Los Angeles’ Little Tokyo. Full schedule at Nisei Week. For highlights, listen to DamienTalks podcast.
As part of Nisei Week, API Forward Movement and Sustainable Little Tokyo will host a Historical Little Tokyo Bike Ride, taking place Sunday 8/20 from 9 a.m. to noon. The ride will gather at Toriumi Plaza at the northwest corner of First Street, Judge John Aiso Street, and San Pedro Street in Little Tokyo. Details at Facebook event. To access a free bike rental provided by Metro Bike Share and LADOT bike program, RSVP via google forms.
- Saturday 8/19 – BikeSGV hosts Ride Marshal Training from 10 a.m. to noon at BikeSGV headquarters at 10900 Mulhall Street in El Monte. Details at Facebook event.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email joe [at] streetsblog.org.