This Week In Livable Streets
The Metro board meets to consider ending the wrongheaded $6 billion 710 North freeway tunnel project. Plenty of more meetings
about Vision Zero in South L.A., Transportation Committee, Expo station community plans, and transit-oriented affordable housing. Metro’s annual Bike Night party takes over Union Station Friday, and the monthly Black Kids on Bikes (BKOB) tune-ups and Freedom Ride take place Sunday.
- Tuesday 5/23 – The L.A. City Planning Department is receiving comments on the Expo Line Transit Neighborhood Plan (TNP) which re-zones neighborhoods within 0.5 miles of the four new Expo Line stations in Los Angeles to permit more housing and jobs. Attend a public hearing at 6 p.m. at IMAN Foundation at 3376 Motor Avenue in West Los Angeles. More details and action alert at Abundant Housing L.A.
- Wednesday 5/24 – The Los Angeles City Council Transportation Committee will meet at 1 p.m. at room 1010 at City Hall at 200 N. Spring Street (public entrance on Main Street) in downtown L.A. The agenda includes the North Atwater multi-modal L.A. River bridge, car-share, oversized vehicles, and more. Details at meeting agenda.
- Wednesday 5/24 – Metro hosts a Crenshaw/LAX line Construction Update community meeting from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Westchester Loyola Village Library at 7114 W. Manchester Avenue in Westchester. Attend to hear construction updates, including major milestones, next steps, schedule and mitigation measures. Details at Facebook event.
Wednesday 5/24– Note: date changed. L.A. City Councilmembers Curren Price and Marqueece Harris-Dawson and the Los Angeles Department of Transportation host another in their series of Vision Zero open house meetings for South and Southeast Los Angeles. The meeting planned for this week has been postponed to Thursday 6/8 at the Mark Ridley-Thomas Constituent Service Center at 8475 S. Vermont Avenue in South Los Angeles. The format will be open house, so interested people can drop by anytime between 6 and 8 p.m. Another open house takes place Thursday 6/1 from 6 to 9 p.m. at EXPO Center / Roy Anderson Rec Center at 3980 Bill Robertson Lane in Exposition Park. Additional details at LACBC.
- Thursday 5/25 – Metro hosts its regular monthly board meeting at 9 a.m. in the third floor board room at One Gateway Plaza, behind Union Station in downtown L.A. On the agenda is a motion that could more-or-less kill the 710 North $6 billion freeway tunnel project, plus transit station parking, the agency’s $6.1 billion FY2017-18 budget, fare subsidy restructuring, TAP upgrades, and more. Details at meeting agenda.
- Thursday 5/25 – The L.A. City Planning Commission will meet to consider approving the Transit Oriented Communities Affordable Housing Incentive Program – an transit-oriented affordable housing overlay zone. The hearing takes place at 10 a.m. at Van Nuys City Hall at 14410 Sylvan Street in Van Nuys. The Alliance for Community Transit is part of a coalition urging program approval. Details at meeting agenda.
- Friday 5/26 – Metro hosts Bike Night at Union Station in downtown L.A. from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Admission is free. There will be music, food trucks, games, arts and crafts, a kids’ bike rodeo and more. For details see The Source or Facebook event. Join a Bike SGV feeder ride gathering at 4:30 p.m. at the Metro Gold Line South Pasadena Station.
- Sunday 5/28 – BKoB hosts free bike tune-ups from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Leimert Park People St Plaza at 43rd Pl and Leimert Park Blvd. They will ride out on their monthly Freedom Ride at 1 p.m. Details at Facebook event.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email joe [at] streetsblog.org.