This Week In Livable Streets
It’s bike week! Lots of big fun events, including Thursday’s bike-to-work day.
- Monday 5/16 to Friday 5/19 – Bicyclists ride free on Metrolink all week.
- Tuesday 5/16 – Good Samaritan Hospital hosts the always excellent annual Blessing of the Bikes. The event will take place from 8 to 9:30 a.m. at 616 Witmer Street in Central City West. Details at Blessing of the Bicycles website.
- Tuesday 5/16 – Election Day, with run-off elections in L.A. City Council Districts One and Seven. See also Bike the Vote recommendation for Measure C.
- Tuesday 5/16 – The Council of Infill Builders host a one-day conference on reforming Los Angeles’ parking policy. The event takes place from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Bradley Tower Room at L.A. City Hall in downtown L.A. See Eventbrite page for details and registration.
- Tuesday 5/16 – The Pasadena Complete Streets Coalition and Bike SGV host a free Taste of Pasadena ride. Riders gather at 6 p.m. at Central Park (just west of the Metro Gold Line Del Mar Station) at 260 S Raymond Avenue in Pasadena. Details at Facebook event. RSVPs requested via Eventbrite.
- Wednesday 5/17 – Various groups around the world will host the annual Ride of Silence honoring injured and fallen cyclists. L.A. rides will take place Wednesday evening in Pasadena, LAX area, North Hollywood, and in Orange and Ventura Counties.
- Thursday 5/18 – Thursday is Bike to Work Day. For a listing of pit stops all over L.A. County, see Metro’s The Source.
- Thursday 5/18 – The L.A. City Council is expected to vote on the city budget, which currently includes no funding for Vision Zero. The meeting will take place at 9 a.m. at room 340 at L.A. City Hall. See also meeting agenda.
- Thursday 5/18 – The L.A. County Bicycle Coalition will host a Bike to Work Day Handlebar Happy Hour from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Wheelhouse at 1375 E. Sixth Street in the downtown L.A. Arts District. Details at LACBC website.
- Thursday 5/18 – Metro hosts a community meeting regarding mid-city construction activities for the Metro Purple Line Subway extension phase 1. The meeting will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. at 5757 Wilshire Boulevard in mid-city Los Angeles. For details see Facebook event.
- Friday 5/19 – Metro will celebrate the opening their new Hollywood and Vine Bike Hub, located at 1630 Vine Street in Hollywood. Event details at Metro’s The Source.
- Friday 5/19 – Metro hosts Bike Night at Union Station – details coming soon.
- Saturday 5/20 – L.A. City Councilmember Mike Bonin hosts a free Bike with Mike family bike ride. The ride gathers at 10 a.m. at Bonin’s office at 7166 W. Manchester Avenue in Westchester. RSVP requested via Bonin website.
- Sunday 5/21 – API Forward Movement hosts a free “I <3 Chinatown” bike ride. The ride gathers at 8:30 a.m. at the Metro Gold Line Chinatown Station. Details at Facebook event.
- Sunday 5/21 – The Pasadena Complete Streets Coalition and Bike SGV host a San Gabriel Valley Architecture Ride. Riders gather at 9:30 a.m. at Memorial Park at 85 E. Holly Street in Pasadena. Details at Facebook event.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email joe [at] streetsblog.org.