This Week In Livable Streets
- Thursday 9/8 – Downtown L.A.’s central library hosts “Car-Free in a Car Culture,” an exhibition by photographer Edward E. Solis who aims to raise awareness of the advantages of the car-free lifestyle. This Thursday from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. there will be an opening reception at the central library at 630 W 5th Street in downtown Los Angeles. Details at Facebook event.
- Friday 9/9 – Westside Urban Forum presents Confronting the Shame of Los Angeles, a panel discussion on solving Southern California homelessness. Registration starts at 7:15 a.m., with breakfast at 7:50 a.m. and presentation starting at 8 a.m. The venue is The Olympic Collection at 11301 Olympic Boulevard in West L.A. The event costs $55 for the general public, with less expensive options for members and students. Pre-registration closes on Wednesday, September 14, 2016. Details at WUF.
- Saturday 9/10 – The Los Angeles Region Planning History Group presents “The Complete Street: Wrongs and Rights of Way” as part of its Saturdays at The Huntington Library Colloquia. A panel, moderated by Allyn Rifkin and Sam Gennawey, will address adapting our streets from car-focused thoroughfares to multi-modal places, and the implications for the streets of the future. The event takes place from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Huntington Library at 1151 Oxford Road in San Marino. The event costs $50 for general admission, $35 for students, and includes breakfast and lunch. Details at LARPHG and Facebook.
- Saturday 9/10 – Syndicate Riderz BC California Chapter host World Peace Ride through Watts and South L.A. The ride’s organizers propose, in light of recent tragedies and crises, to use riding bikes to bring people together and show that there are no color or race lines that separate us. Organizers request no cuts, vest, or club colors, as the point of the ride is to show unity and for all to ride as one. The slow-paced family ride meets up at 10 a.m. and departs at 11 a.m. at Ted Watkins Memorial Park at 1335 E 103rd Street in South Los Angeles. Details at Facebook event.
- Next Week: Monday-Wednesday 9/12-14 – The national American Public Transit Association will host its annual meeting and conference at the Marriott L.A. Live conference center in downtown Los Angeles. Details at APTA.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email email@example.com.