This Week in Livable Streets
- Monday 3/14 – Today – L.A. City Council joint-committee hearing on sidewalk repair. Meeting is at 2 p.m. at Council Chambers (room 340) at City Hall in downtown L.A. Details at agenda.
- Wednesday and Thursday 3/16-17 – Metro board committees meet to hash out business in advance of next week’s full board meeting. Some Wednesday meetings have been canceled, check the full schedule and agendas at Metro website.
- Wednesday 3/16 – Janette Sadik-Khan will be in conversation with Christopher Hawthorne, and will sign her great new book Streetfight. The event takes place at 7:30 p.m. at the Hammer Museum at 10899 Wilshire Boulevard in Westwood. It is free, with no advance tickets, so get there early for a good chance of getting in. Details at Hammer website.
- Wednesday 3/16 – There will be a community meeting to finalize redevelopment guidelines for the CRA lot at First and Boyle. Meeting takes place from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Boyle Heights City Hall Community Room at 2130 E. First Street in Boyle Heights. Details on event flier [PDF].
- Wednesday 3/16 – The Transit Coalition hosts Metro construction chief Richard Clarke speaking at 6 p.m. at Metro Headquarters, Union Station Conference Room, at 1 Gateway Plaza, behind Union Station in downtown L.A. Space is limited so sign-up ASAP at Eventbrite.
- Thursday 3/17 – Janette Sadik-Khan is speaking and signing at Gensler in downtown L.A. Unfortunately, the free event is already full – add your name to the wait list via Eventbrite.
- Saturday 3/19 – The Big Parade hosts a really long stairways walk “Stair Trek IX.” The format has changed somewhat so see Facebook event for details.
- Saturday 3/19 – Fig Jam celebrates North Figueroa’s Great Streets Initiative. The event runs from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. along much of North Figueroa Street through Highland Park. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 3/19 – Celebrate Long Beach’s second open streets event: Beach Streets from downtown Long Beach to Belmont Heights from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free. Fun. Easy access via the Metro Blue Line. Check out Long Beach Bike Share launching the same day! Volunteers needed. Event details, including map, at the Beach Streets website. Share via Facebook event.
- Saturday and Sunday 3/19-20 – East Yard Communities for Environmental Justice is looking for volunteers to go door to door to get tenant agreements signed that will allow for lead testing, due to contamination from Exide. Saturday (see Facebook event) from 2 to 6 p.m., meet at CALÓ YouthBuild at 3626 E Fifth Street in Boyle Heights. Sunday (see Facebook event) from 2 to 6 p.m. Meet at 5117 Kinsie Street in City of Commerce. For More Information contact EYCEJ at 323.263.21113 or info [at] eycej.org.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.