This Week in Livable Streets
Lots to see and do this week! We are really excited about ULI’s Transit Oriented Los Angeles conference this Thursday morning – follow @StreetsblogLA for live tweeting from it!
- Monday 12/7 – Metro is holding a round public workshops on its Active Transportation Strategic Plan. There’s a meeting tonight 4 to 6 p.m. at the Norwalk Community Meeting Center at 13200 Clarkdale Avenue in Norwalk. For additional details see workshop flier [PDF], project summary [PDF]. Pre-registration is recommended via Metro website.
- Tuesday 12/8 – Metro is holding a round public workshops on its Active Transportation Strategic Plan, with a meeting Tuesday 4 to 6 p.m. at the Torrance Cultural Arts Center at 3330 Civic Center Drive in Torrance. For additional details see workshop flier [PDF], project summary [PDF]. Pre-registration is recommended via Metro website.
- Tuesday 12/8 – The Culver City Bicycle Coalition hosts its final monthly meeting of the year – from 6 to 8 p.m. at Pieology Pizzeria at 3850 Main St, in Culver City. Details at Facebook event.
- Wednesday 12/8 – Metro is holding a round of public workshops on its Active Transportation Strategic Plan, with a meeting Wednesday 4 to 6 p.m. at the at Julia McNeill Senior Center, 4100 Baldwin Park Boulevard in Baldwin Park. For additional details see workshop flier [PDF], project summary [PDF]. Pre-registration is recommended via Metro website.
- Wednesday 12/9 – This week’s Los Angeles City Council Transportation Committee takes place at 1 p.m. at Room 1010 of Los Angeles City Hall. There’s nothing earth-shattering on the agenda, but the committee will discuss the Metro 7th Station tunnel to The Bloc, and some specific oversize vehicle restrictions and preferential parking districts. For more details see agenda [PDF].
- Wednesday 12/9 – Latino Urban Forum presents a panel discussion Latina Urbanism Shaping, Enhancing and Preserving the Community with panelists Carmen Argote, Adonia Lugo and Isela Gracian. The free event takes place from 6 to 8:30 p.m. at El Pueblo America Tropical Interpretive Center at 125 Paseo de La Plaza, in downtown Los Angeles. Details at Facebook event.
Thursday 12/10 – The Urban Land Institute hosts its Transit Oriented Los Angeles conference from 7 a.m. until 12 noon at the Japanese American National Museum in Little Tokyo. Speakers include Phil Washington and Mark Ridley-Thomas. Registration is $90, with discounts for nonprofits and students. For more details and to register, go to ULI.
- Thursday 12/10 – Join the East Side Riders and other bike clubs as they host a mini bike show at the Watts Winter Wonderland Festival to illustrate the diversity of bikes, clubs, and riders in the area. The event runs from 4 to 6:30 p.m. on 103rd St., between Compton Avenue and Success Street. Details at Facebook event.
- Thursday 12/10 – Councilmember Marqueece Harris-Dawson will hold a listening session to discuss ideas with community members about what to do with potential community assets like vacant lots. The meeting will be held at 6 p.m. 239 W. 86th Place in South L.A. Details, here.
- Thursday 12/10 – The Transit Coalition hosts a dinner to learn about High-Speed Rail, featuring Michelle Boehm, the Southern California Regional Director for the California High-Speed Rail Authority. The dinner takes place from 6 to 8:30 p.m. at the conference room at Metro Headquarters behind Union Station. Tickets are $25, includes dinner, and attendees must purchase in advance via Eventbrite.
- Friday 12/11 – Westside Urban Forum hosts a breakfast panel on L.A.’s Mobility Plan 2035, featurning FAST, Investing in Place, and Fix the City. The sparks will fly at 7 a.m. at The Olympic Collection at 11301 Olympic Boulevard in West Los Angeles. Tickets are $55, with discounts for students and members – early registration deadline is Wednesday 12/9. More details at Westside Urban Forum.
- Friday 12/11 – Celebrate the Triforium’s 40th birthday from 4 to 9 p.m. at Temple and Main in downtown L.A. Details at Facebook event.
- Friday 12/11 – Support Multicultural Communities for Mobility (MCM) at their Turnt Up fundraiser starting at 6:30 p.m. at Self-Help Graphics, at 1300 E. First Street in Boyle Heights. There are easy bike parking and a convenient Gold Line stop. It is only a $25 suggested donation but you’ll want to give even more! Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 12/12 – Want to do a 20-mile walking tour of pedestrian overcrossings? Partial versions available, too. Meet at 7:30 a.m. at East L.A. Civic Center. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 12/12 – Take a walking tour of Boyle Heights with James Rojas! The “Lady Of Guadalupe and Jane Jacobs’ tour of the Flats” meets at 10 a.m. at Mariachi Plaza in Boyle Heights. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 12/12 – Southern California Transit Advocates host their free monthly meeting at 1 p.m. at Angelus Plaza (4th floor) at 255 S. Hill Street in downtown Los Angeles. The guest speaker will be Jerard Wright, co-chair of the Sierra Club Angeles Chapter Transportation Committee, outgoing Chair of Metro’s Citizens’ Advisory Council, and a Policy Analyst with Move L.A.
- Saturday 12/12 – Various feeder rides converge for Midnight Ridazz All City Toy Ride! Start times and locations at Midnight Ridazz.
- Sunday 12/13 – take a deep breath, walk, rest, relax, garden, walk again.
- Next week: Metro keeps on hosting Active Transportation Strategic Plan workshops: Monday 12/14 from 9 to 11 a.m. at Roy A. Anderson Recreation Center, 3980 Bill Robertson Lane in Exposition Park in South L.A. and Tuesday 12/15 from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Santa Clarita Activities Center at 20880 Centre Pointe Parkway in Santa Clarita. For additional details see workshop flier [PDF], project summary [PDF]. Pre-registration is recommended via Metro website.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.