This Week In Livable Streets
Plenty of great happenings as the calendar slips into December. Attend a conference for rail passengers, a Metro board meeting, holiday rides, and more. Plus watch Streetfilms in Santa Monica this Friday!
- Tuesday 12/1 – The city of Los Angeles Bicycle Advisory Committee meets at 7 p.m. at 6501 Fountain Avenue in Hollywood. To be discussed are planned future segments of the L.A. River and Expo bike paths, Mobility Plan 2035, and more. See agenda [PDF] for details.
- Tuesday 12/1 – Tomorrow is the last day to vote to name Metro’s Crenshaw/LAX line tunnel boring machine. Details at Metro.
- Wednesday 12/2 – Santa Monica officials want your input on the latest veteran housing plans for the 387-acre West L.A. Veterans Administration campus overhaul. Attend a public input meeting from 7 to 8 p.m. at the City Auditorium at 1855 Main St in Santa Monica. View the plan at the project website. More meeting details are at Santa Monica Next.
- Thursday 12/3 – Metro’s Board of Directors meets at 9 a.m. at the Metro Board Room behind L.A. Union Station. Agenda items include Regional Connection subway construction cost overruns, bike-share fares, and more. Full meeting details at Metro.
- Thursday 12/3 – Pacoima Beautiful and Mayor Eric Garcetti’s Great Streets Initiative invite you to a Pacoima Street Values Open House taking place along Van Nuys Boulevard from 6 to 8 p.m. at Pacoima Neighborhood City Hall at 13520 Van Nuys Blvd. Refreshments, child care, and translation will be provided. Additional details on flier [PDF] or call Max Podemski at (818) 899-2454.
- Friday 12/4 – SBLA sister site Santa Monica Next hosts a night of Streetfilms starting at 7 p.m. at Vidiots at 302 Pico Boulevard in Santa Monica. Details at Facebook event.
- Friday 12/4 – The documentary film Bikes vs. Cars opens at the Laemmle Theaters in North Hollywood.
- Saturday 12/5 – The LACBC’s Culver City Bicycle Coalition hosts a free holiday ride. Gather at 9:30 a.m. at Veteran’s Park at 4117 Overland Avenue in Culver City. Leisurely six-mile ride rolls out at 10 a.m. If you can, bring an unwrapped toy to donate. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 12/5 – From 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. the Rail Passenger Association of California and Nevada along with National Association of Railroad Passengers Region 12 are presenting a joint annual meeting, the Steel Wheels Conference entitled “2016: A Year of Possibilities.” The conference takes place in the Metro Board Room behind L.A. Union Station. Speakers include:
– Yvonne Brathwaite-Burke, former County Supervisor and Metro board member
– Jay Fountain and Eric Smith, Amtrak route managers
– Dave Golonski, chair of LOSSAN
– Darrell Clarke, head of Friends4Expo
Registration costs $35. Sign up in advance via Eventbrite.
- Saturday 12/5 – Decorate your bike in advance of Sunday’s NELA Holiday Parade. A decorating party takes place from 1 to 4 p.m. at 5608 Monte Vista Street in Highland Park. Bring decorating supplies and creativity! Details at Facebook event.
- Sunday 12/6 – Figueroa for All encourages all to ride bikes in the NELA Holiday Parade. Gather at 10 a.m. at 5608 Monte Vista Street in Highland Park. Details at Facebook event. Decorate your bikes during Saturday’s bike decorating party; see above Saturday event.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.