This Week In Livable Streets
The Los Angeles City Council may be on their summer recess, but there’s still plenty to do – though the highlights are near the ocean where it’s a little cooler – support SBLA sister site LongBeachize and take a walking tour of the Port of Los Angeles.
- Tuesday 7/7 – Later this week, attorneys from Chatten-Brown & Carstens will be filing a lawsuit against the City of Los Angeles to halt the proposed redesign of the Glendale-Hyperion Bridge and force the city to adopt a bridge plan that serves all Angelenos. At 11 a.m. at the Red Car Park in Atwater Village, safe streets advocates will hold a press conference to discuss the lawsuit.
- Tuesday 7/7 – For the past five weeks, SCAG has been touring the six-county region with a series of open houses to engage residents on the development of the 2016-2040 Regional Transportation Plan/Sustainable Communities Strategy (2016 RTP/SCS). The open houses provides an overview of some of the key topics that will be discussed in the plan, including – transportation, air quality, land use development, open space and the region’s vital goods movement industry. This Tuesday, the open house tour comes to Boyle Heights. Find out more in SCAG’s newsletter or on one of their multi-lingual event flyers.
- Wednesday 7/8 – Join “Draft L.A.” for a discussion on “Designing for Public Space” with speaker Nat Gale, Director of the Great Streets Initiative. You’ll discuss the notion of public space, civic design, and how Mayor Garcetti’s Great Streets Challenge Grant is an opportunity to “disrupt” this process. Get more details at EventBrite.
- Wednesday 7/8 – Celebrate Online Journalist of the Year 2014, LongBeachIze’s very own Brian Addison. Happy Hour starts at 6pm at Hamburger Mary’s at 330 Pine Avenue in Long Beach. Details here.
- Saturday 7/11 – Los Angeles Walks hosts a waterfront walking tour of the Port of Los Angeles. Departs at 10am from the Catalina Express terminal at Berth 95. Free, but RSVPs requested – details here.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we need to know for future calendars? Email email@example.com.