What Will the Headline from ULI’s FutureBuild 2014
Next Tuesday, the Urban Land Institute of Los Angeles will host Future Build 2014, a one-day conference looking at how societal changes and new technology will change the way cities develop and communities grow.
The highlight of the conference will be a keynote address from Mayor Eric Garcetti. Garcetti has used conferences speeches as a way to launch public speeches as an opportunity to announce major initiatives, such as last October when he announced Great Streets at ULI’s “Transit Oriented Los Angeles.” Some wonder whether there is a plan for another major announcement coming next week. In truth, Garcetti’s office seems awfully comfortable with the Urban Land Institute, just last week they co-sponsored a speech by Gabe Klein in City Hall.
But while we await Garcetti’s speech, the rest of the agenda is pretty clear. The speaker’s list includes some Streetsblog favorites including Mia Lehrer and Ron Finley, the “guerrilla gardener.” I have to admit I rolled my eyes at “3-D Printed Housing” and “driverless cars” as topics of discussion, but the rest of the agenda looks more promising.
- Micro grids for self-energized buildings and communities
- 3D-printed housing, and micro apartments
- The 21st century office and the disappearing cubicle
- “Urban Acupuncture:” urban gardens, parklets, new riverfront uses
- Healthy buildings and communities
- Clean and green business incubators in industrial districts
- Private $130 (Non-members $175)
- Public/Non-profit/YLG $110 (Non-members $150)
- Student $90 (Non-members $120)
Registration includes breakfast and lunch. Please note that prices increase after the early registration deadline of January 20. ULI Members who register for the full VerdeXchange 2014 conference will receive a $100 discount off of the full conference admission price.