The Week in Livable Streets Events
After the CicLAvia hangover wears off, there’s a pretty packed calendar of events beginning with Walk to School Day and ending with a fundraiser for the family of a slain Hit and Run victim. In between there’s conferences, committee meetings and even a three-day party for a space shuttle.
- Wednesday – It’s Walk to School Day! This event is pretty easy to take part in if you either are a student or parent. If you’re a student…walk to school! If you’re a parent, walk with your kid to school! The event is also easy to take part in if you work at a school. Your school may have something special planned, or might be taking part in the official city program. You can check this website for details, or talk to a school administrator.
- Wednesday – The Los Angeles City Council Transportation Committee will meet to discuss rail access to LAX and a host of other issues. AT THE ADVICE OF THE CITY ATTORNEY, THE MY FIGUEROA STUDY MOTION OFFERED BY COUNCIL MEMBER CURREN PRICE WILL NOT BE HEARD. The city attorney advised that the appeal of the EIR and motion for further study be put on the same pathy. That path is to be determined because is referred to the Planning and Land Use Committee and motion to the Transportation Committee. Read the agenda for the 2 pm meeting, right here.
- Thursday – ULI LA’s Transit Oriented Los Angeles (ToLA) will expand the planning agenda from individual transit stations to a transformation of corridors to achieve a truly transit oriented Los Angeles. At ToLA, ULI-LA will present the results of two groundbreaking studies. We have the event on our calendar, but you can get a lot more details from the event website. The conference starts early, but ends with a noon presentation by Eric Garcetti.
- Friday – Embrace the evening by bicycle and explore Pasadena’s incredible collection of art galleries and museums, all open and free to the public. C.I.C.L.E. will be making stops at the Armory Center for the Arts, Pacific Asia Museum, Pasadena Museum of California Art, Side Streets Project and the Pasadena History Museum. Stimulate your mind and your muscles on this easy, breezy, artsy ride through town! Get more details at our calendar page.
- Friday-Sunday – The California Science Center hosts Endeavour Fest, a celebration of the one-year arrival of the Space Shuttle Endeavor through the streets of (mostly South) Los Angeles to the Center. Honestly, I probably wouldn’t have included the event, but it gave me a chance to give a shout out to Sahra’s excellent coverage of the entire event? Remember when the press suddenly noticed a bunch of trees would have to be cut down for the move? Remember when she wrote about the issue about a month before everyone else? Anyway, get the event details at the Science Center’s event page.
- Saturday – Last month, Luis Andy Garcia was killed by a hit and run driver while riding home late at night with friends. This weekend, friends and supporters are throwing a fundraiser car wash/after party to raise funds for some of his family’s expenses. Get all the details, here.
- Monday – We usually don’t do events for next week, but there’s always a chance I won’t get the events calendar up before a Monday morning event. The California High Speed Rail Authority is meeting at Metro HQ. The Board moves their meetings around the state for fairness purposes. They do have a public comment period on the agenda, so if you have something you want to say to them, now’s the time. Read the agenda and get the meeting details, here.
As always, if we missed something, or if there’s something you’d want us to put on the calendar for next week, email firstname.lastname@example.org.