The Week in Livable Streets Events
This is sort of a weird week, it’s the end for the Villaraigosa administration. There’s a CicLAvia hangover. Next week has a holiday in the middle of it. But there’s plenty of important and fun stuff on the agenda.
- Tuesday – Local artists Sean Deyoe and Nathan Snider have led The Passage of a Few People Through a Rather Brief Moment in Time, a weekly Wednesday night bike ride exploring far-flung areas of the city since 2009. Tuesday, they will be speaking about the ride and the gallery installation inspired by unexpected connections between otherwise disconnected places. I rode this once, in 2009 and it was awesome. I bet the talk will be too. Details here: Streetsblog, Facebook.
- Tuesday, Wednesday – The Los Angeles Department of City Planning would like to invite you to attend upcoming workshops for the Crenshaw Boulevard Streetscape Plan. The Streetscape Plan aims to make the Crenshaw Corridor a more pedestrian- and bicycle-friendly place. Get the details: Streetsblog, Facebook.
- Wednesday – It might be the last Transportation Committee hearing for Bill Rosendahl, but he’s going out swinging. As his representative to the Expo Bicycle Advisory Committee, I’m double excited to see we’ve got a motion to fix the horrible crossing planned for Centinella and Exposition. The meeting starts at 2. Get the agenda, here.
- Wednesday – It’s another exciting chapter of Tour LaBonge. The ride down what was once thought of as the “Future Bike Boulevard” of Los Angeles on 4th Street used to be one of the best attended parts of the tour. Too bad the City Council Member backed a narrow group of loud homeowners who flipped out at the thought of, I don’t know, slow moving traffic on their street. I wonder which Council Member that was. Get the details for the ride, by clicking here.
- Thursday – The Metro Board of Directors meets to vote on a budget, Leimert Park Station, e-buses, and of course this will be one of the last public appearances by Mayor Villaraigosa. I’m sure John Walsh has something nice planned. When the agenda is online, you’ll find it here.
- Friday – Is the last City Council meeting for some of our favorite Council Members – Rosendahl, Ed Reyes, Jan Perry and (of course) Eric Garcetti. There’s going to be a video tribute for Rosendahl at this meeting, a video I’m featured in, and it will be a nice way to say “goodbye, see you at the farmer’s market.” Meeting starts at 10 am.
- Saturday – After all those goodbyes, you’re probably emotionally exhausted. I know I am. And they haven’t even happened yet. So feel better with a nice ride on the Ballona Creek Bike Path. Through a sponsorship by Metro, C.I.C.L.E., with the Walk ‘n Rollers, will kick off the summer with a ride along the mural speckled Ballona Creek Bike Path to the sea! Get the details, here.
Did we miss something? Is there something cool coming up? Let us know. Damein@streetsblog.org.