- Gulf oil rig explodes off Louisiana coast – Text of LAT Alert After Jump
- AAA: Holiday Car Travel to Increase (Daily News)
- City Residents Debating New Design Guides…Wider Sidewalks? Better Intersections? (Neon Tommy)
- Metro Staffer Makes the Case That Kids Should Take Transit to School (The Source)
- Some Interesting Art Popping Up Along Expo (LAT)
- Santa Monica Planning a Real Green Street for Ocean Park Boulevard (Creek Freak)
- Gold Line Construction Needs Private Contractors to Get Going (Curbed)
- Lopez: An Army of Lobbyists Killed CA Plastic Bag Ban (LAT)
- Advice from a Pimp on Making the PCH Safe for Everyone (Biking In L.A.)
- The Source Is Thinking of Taking Comments
More headlines at Streetsblog Capitol Hill
Los Angeles Times | Sept. 2, 2010 | 8:59 a.m.
An offshore oil rig has exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, west of the site of the April blast that caused the massive oil spill.
Seven helicopters, two airplanes and four boats are en route to the site, about 80 miles south of Vermilion Bay along the central Louisiana coast.
The Coast Guard said initial reports indicated all 13 crew members were in the water. One was injured, but there were no deaths.
More soon at http://www.latimes.com