- Tuesday 7/21 – LA County Bike Coalition Executive Director Tamika Butler is among the expert national panelists for Safe Routes to School National Partnership’s free webinar titled Active Transportation and Equity: Key Challenges and Opportunities from the Field. It takes place online at 10 a.m. tomorrow. Event details here. Register here.
- Tuesday 7/21 – Santa Monica Next and James Rojas invite you to help plan Santa Monica 2030. Takes place at 1640 5th St, Santa Monica, CA 90401 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. – additional details at SBLA sister site Santa Monica Next.
- Thursday 7/23 – Metro’s monthly Board of Directors Meeting will take place this Thursday. There are details at a new Metro website (worse than before, unless you are really into downloading PDFs) with agendas and some of the meeting materials. There’s always a lot on the agenda [PDF], but some topics of note this month are how Metro may extend the Gold Line east of East L.A., and updated Metro policies on affordable housing joint development and parking (SBLA story coming today or tomorrow.)
- Thursday 7/23 – Boyle Heights Mariachi Plaza hosts the Special Olympics Torch Run and Ceremony – run at 11 a.m., ceremony at 12:25 p.m. – details here.
- Thursday 7/23 – The Exide Technologies Advisory Group meets from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Resurrection Catholic Church, Parish Hall, at 3324 E. Opal Street, L.A. 90023. It’s an opportunity for community members looking to work with the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) and South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) to hold Exide accountable for cleanup of its site. Read recent SBLA Exide coverage here. The meeting is open to the public; translation services will be provided. For further information contact DTSC Public Participation Specialist Marina Pérez at 1-844-225-3887 or SCAQMD Senior Public Information Specialist Leeor Alpern at 909-396-3663.
- Friday 7/24 – Explore, enjoy, and write your L.A. Union Station story – at Metro’s PUBLISH! Your Journey from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. More details at The Source and this Facebook event.
- Saturday 7/25 – State Assemblymember Anthony Rendon, L.A. County Supervisor Hilda Solis, and the Rivers and Mountains Conservancy host a free Southeast L.A. River Bike Ride and Run, where you can learn about AB 530. Starts at Maywood Riverfront Park and ends at Cudahy River Park. Registration starts at 7 a.m., ride and run starts 8 a.m. Event details and rsvp at Asm Rendon’s website.
- Sunday 7/26 – Black Kids on Bikes (BKOB) and the Ride-On Bike Co-Op host another free bike fix-it session at Leimert Park from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. See earlier SBLA coverage here. Event details here.
- Next Mon-Tue-Wed 7/27-7/29 – The L.A. City Council will continue to hear from the public on who will pay to repair and maintain sidewalks. Streetsblog previewed the latest sidewalk repair plan here. Next week’s hearings take place in West L.A., Eagle Rock and Van Nuys. Agendas are posted at L.A. City’s web calendar three days in advance; for location, time, and additional details now, see Investing in Place.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we need to know for future calendars? Email email@example.com.