View 2 7 12 speed limits in a larger map
A trio of speed limit proposals head to the City Council Transportation Committee tomorrow. The proposals total 5.4 miles of city streets that would see a limit increase. Half of those miles would see a dramatic increase from 35 miles per hour to 45 miles per hour. The areas due for an increase are:
- Kester Avenue between Saticoy Street and Victory Boulevard (35 mph increased to 40 mph for 1.5 miles),
- Kester Avenue between Magnolia and Ventura Boulevards (35 mph increased to 40 mph for .9 miles),
- Chandler Boulevard between Lankershim Boulevard and Coldwater Canyon Avenue (35 mph increased to 45 mph for 2.1 miles)
- Chandler Boulevard between Lankershim Boulevard and Vineland Avenue (35 mph increased to 40 mph for .3 miles),
- Clybourn Avenue between Strathern and Cohasset Street (35 mph increased to 45 mph for .6 miles)
A team of advocates including representatives from Los Angeles Walks, the Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition and Ridazz, an online general assembly of concerned cyclists, is planning to lobby the Committee to hold back the limit increases. Councilmen have begrudgingly passed similar increases in the past in an effort to support LAPD traffic enforcement.