This Week In Livable Streets
Measure M local return funding will be at the L.A. City Council Transportation Committee, plus California high-speed rail, 6th Street PARC, water projects, open streets, and bike rides – all this week!
- Tuesday 3/28 and Thursday 4/30 – Councilmember Huizar and the Bureau of Engineering host two community meetings on the Sixth Street PARC. Tuesday’s meeting will be at 6 p.m. at the Southern California Institute of Architecture (SCI-Arc) at 960 E. 3rd Street, in downtown Los Angeles’ Arts District. Details and RSVPs requested at 6th Street Viaduct website.
Wednesday 3/29 – The Los Angeles City Council Transportation Committee meeting will take place at 1 p.m. at L.A. City Hall, room 1010, 200 N. Spring Street (public entrance on Main Street) in downtown Los Angeles. On the agenda are two motions on how to divide up the city’s Measure M local return funding. Investing in Place, L.A. County Bicycle Coalition, and others are encouraging folks to attend to press for return funding to go to completing streets, not just repairing potholes. For details see Investing in Place action alert. Share via Facebook event.
- Wednesday 3/29 – Pacoima Beautiful and the Council for Watershed Health host a community discussion on how water projects can build safe and healthy communities. The meeting will take place at 6 p.m. at Pacoima Beautiful, 13520 Van Nuys Boulevard #200 in Pacoima. Details at Facebook event.
- Thursday 3/30 through Saturday 4/8 – The California High-Speed Rail Authority will host a community meetings on connecting Los Angeles and Orange County. The downtown L.A. meeting will be Thursday 3/30 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Southern California Institute of Architecture (SCI-Arc) W.M. Keck Hall, at 960 E. 3rd Street, in downtown L.A.’s Arts Distict. Meetings continue next Tuesday 4/4 in Santa Fe Springs, Wednesday 4/5 in Buena Park, Thursday 4/6 in Anaheim, and Saturday 4/8 in Montebello. Meeting details at CAHSR.
- Thursday 3/3o – Meetings continue for 6th Street PARC. Thursday’s meeting will be at 6 p.m. at PUENTE Learning Center / jueves 30 de marzo del 2017, 6:00PM, PUENTE Learning Center at 501 S. Boyle Avenue in Boyle Heights. Details and RSVPs requested at 6th Street Viaduct website.
- Friday 3/31 – The Los Angeles chapter of the American Society of Civil Engineers hosts a one-day California Infrastructure Symposium, with tracks on transportation and water. The meeting takes place from 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the California Science Center at 700 Exposition Park Drive in South Los Angeles. Event details and registration at ASCE.
- Saturday 4/1 – Tactical 180 hosts the Simi Valley Cycling Festival featuring 15, 25 and 50 mile rides, plus Kiddie race, kiddie ride, bounce house, beer garden, vendors, prizes and goodie bags. The festivities go all day at Simi Valley Town Center at 1555 Simi Town Center Way, in Simi Valley. Details at Facebook event.
- Saturday 4/1 – Garden Grove Open Streets will take place from 3 to 6 p.m. on along West Street, Garden Grove Boulevard, Acacia Parkway and Historic Main Street. Event details at Garden Grove Open Streets.
- Saturday 4/1 – Just southwest of Santa Barbara, the city of Carpinteria hosts its first open streets event from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Accessible via the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner. Details at Santa Barbara Open Streets and Facebook event.
- Sunday 4/2 – The L.A. County Bicycle Coalition hosts its monthly Sunday Funday ride – a tour of downtown L.A. street art. Meet at 10 a.m. at The Crafty Pedal at 755 Valencia Street, #B, in downtown Los Angeles’s Arts District. Details at Facebook event.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email joe [at] streetsblog.org.