This Week in Livable Streets
VerdeXchange, Ask An Officer. Exide clean-up, LAX peoplemover, bike-share and more this week.
- Monday 1/30 – Tonight the L.A. County Bicycle Coalition hosts Ask An Officer – your chance to discuss bikes with law enforcement officers and lawyers. The event takes place from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at LACBC headquarters at 634 S. Spring Street, Suite 821, in downtown Los Angeles. Details at Facebook event.
- Monday 1/30 – Tonight the UCLA Luskin Center for Innovation hosts a forum on What Makes A City Great? The discussion features Alexander Garvin, Cecilia Estolano, Anastasia Loukaitou-Sideris, Rick Cole, and Vince Bertoni. The event goes from 5 to 7 p.m. at the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs, Room 2355. Registration and more details at Eventbrite.
- Tuesday 1/31 – ULI Los Angeles and VerdeXchange host FutureBuild 2017 from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at L.A. Downtown Hotel at 333 S. Figueroa Street in downtown Los Angeles. Featured panels include discussions on healthier cities and autonomous vehicles. Full schedule and reservations at ULI.
- Thursday 2/2 – LAX hosts a public hearing on its planned peoplemover, called the “Landside Access Modernization Program” (LAMP). The meeting takes place from 5 to 9 p.m. at the Flight Path Museum and Learning Center at 6661 W. Imperial Highway in Westchester.
Meeting details at Connecting LAX website.
- Thursdays, 2/2 and 2/9 – East Yard Communities for Environmental Justice hosts two events to overview the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) plan for clean up of Exide lead contamination. The first meeting is February 2 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the YWCA at 4315 Union Pacific Avenue in East L.A. The February 9 meeting is from 6 to 8 p.m. at the EYCEJ Community Room at 5117 Kinsie Street in the city of Commerce. Details at Facebook event or call (323)263-2113.
- Saturday 2/4 – Join Multicultural Communities for Mobility for a bike-share ride to Chinatown for the 118th Golden Dragon Parade. Ride will start at the Pershing Square bike share docking station on the corner of 5th street/Olive street at 12pm. Before the ride starts, MCM will hand out free 30-minute rental passes and bicycle helmets to all participants, along with a brief safety orientation. Details at Facebook event.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email joe [at] streetsblog.org.