This Week In Livable Streets
There’s a lot going on this week: Metro will announce the opening date for Expo 2, L.A. City works with Breeze bike-share, Caltrans and Metro want a new flyover near USC, walking ambassadors, New Urbanism Films in Santa Monica, and plenty more.
- Monday 2/22 – Tonight The Culver City City Council is deliberating on a streetscape plan for Metro Expo Line Transit-Oriented Development. From renderings it appears that there may be gaps in bike lanes planned, and protected bike lanes may be downgraded to incomplete unprotected ones. Attend to show support for full protected bike lanes and supporting active transportation in the plan. The city council meets tonight starting at 7 p.m. at council chambers at 9770 Culver Boulevard in Culver City. Additional details on meeting agenda. Streetscape project details here.
- Tuesday 2/23 – Attend a public hearing on the “Interstate 110 High-Occupancy Toll Lanes Flyover Project” which would build a new $40 million freeway ramp for more cars on MyFigueroa. Tuesday’s hearing is from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Orthopedic Institute for Children, 403 West Adams Boulevard in South L.A. Additional details at L.A. Conservancy and NANDC. 2011 SBLA coverage here.
- Wednesday 2/24 – The Los Angeles City Council Transportation Committee meets to decide a host of issues, including L.A. cooperation with Santa Monica’s Breeze bike-share, Ventura Boulevard streetscape, preferential parking districts, and more. The meeting takes place at 1 p.m. at L.A. City Hall room 1010. Additional details on meeting agenda.
- Wednesday 2/24 – L.A. Walks kicks off its new Walking Ambassador program at a meeting from 6 to 8 p.m. at Angel City Brewery at
216 S Alameda Street in downtown L.A. Details at Facebook event.
- Wednesday 2/24 – The New Urbanism Film Festival heads west – with a night of urbanist films at Laemmle Santa Monica. It takes place at 7:30 p.m. at the Laemmle Monica Film Center at 1332 2nd Street in Santa Monica. Additional details at NUFF and Facebook event.
- Thursday 2/25 – What might overshadow this month’s Metro board meeting business will be the official announcement that phase 2 of the Metro Expo Line will officially be officially opening on May 21st. The announcement will take place around noon, after the conclusion of board business, which includes a proposed paid station parking pilot, a broad green practices motion, and more. The meeting takes place at 9 a.m. at the Metro Board Room at One Gateway Plaza, behind Union Station. Additional details at Metro.
- Friday 2/26 – Last chance to donate to Streetsblog to be entered into a raffle for great books by Janette Sadik-Khan or Gabe Klein. Donate now!
- Saturday 2/27 – The Great Streets challenge grant event “Youth Envisioned Streets – YES! For a Healthier South L.A.” will take place take place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Central Avenue from 33rd Street to Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. RSVP and share via Facebook event.
Looking ahead to next week:
- Monday 2/29 – The Los Angeles Times hosts “The California Conversation: The Road Ahead.” Speakers include Eric Garcetti, Anthony Foxx, Phil Washington, Seleta Reynolds, Joseph Okpaku, Laura Lake, and Laura Nelson. The half-day conference takes place from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Mark Taper Auditorium of the L.A. Central Library at 630 W. 5th Street in Downtown L.A. Additional information at L.A. Times.
- Saturday 3/5 – Metro opens the new Foothill Gold Line extension to Azusa. More details next week – additional information at Metro.
- Sunday 3/6 – CicLAvia – The Valley goes to the North San Fernando Valley.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we should list on future calendars? Email email@example.com.