The Week in Livable Streets Events
- Wednesday -Community of Friends invites you to a meeting to learn about Lorena Plaza, a proposed mixed-use development that will be comprised of affordable housing and commercial/retail. The development would be constructed on the northeast corner of 1st Street and Lorena Street, in Boyle Heights. The meeting will be held in English and Spanish. For more information, click here.
- Wednesday, Thursday – Metro Board of Directors Committee meetings are where sausage are made. Mmmm. Sausage. Last month, I said the agendas looked dull. They weren’t. I was totally wrong! This month the agendas seem less exciting than last month’s with highlights including more fare gate motions, changes in public comment and, my favorite, a motion to modernize online access to Metro forms and meetings. Read the agendas, here.
- Thursday – Artists June Edmonds and Jose Lozano worked with 22 youth and several youth mentors to collect community stories about health and visions for Health in South LA. They created this series of four murals on canvas. This project was funded by the USC Good Neighbors Program and by the California Endowment and Building Healthy Communities South LA. The four murals are part of a series of 17 murals installed throughout South L.A. For more information, click here.
- Saturday – That was the year “My Heart Will Go On” (and various remixes) flooded the airwaves, Google began helping us find what we were looking for, and Bill Clinton denied some stuff. 1998 also marks the birth of LACBC, making 2014 the year that we celebrate our Sweet 16! Join the LACBC for one of their biggest fundraisers of the year at BIKE PROM. For more information, click here.
- Sunday – Please join LACBC’s West Bike Ambassadors Kevin and John on a leisurely bike ride through the Venice and Mar Vista neighborhoods of Los Angeles! The ride will be approximately 8 to 10 miles and we will meet and end at the Mar Vista Farmer’s Market. For more information, click here.
- Mark Your Calendars! On February 25, LongBeachize is hosting a mayoral forum for the top four candidates for mayor. On March 15, Streetsblog L.A. is holding a party celebrating the Streetsie win of Paul Backstrom.
Did we miss anything? Is there something we need to know for next week? Contact us at email@example.com.